Gravel for chicken run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 2-dimples, Mar 19, 2008.

1. 2-dimples

2-dimples Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2008
    Woodinville, WA
    Hey guys! I just joined a few days ago and thought I'd ask you experts about our chicken run that has a gravel on the ground. We moved into this house a year ago and the previous owners had built a chicken run or pen with gravel covering the ground. Has anyone ever tried this? It seems like a good idea for drainage and to keep the mud down, but I am unsure about how to eventually clean it. I'm sure the chicken manure would eventually pile up and you'd need to wash it down or something......any ideas?

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    We have a power washer. You could invets in that? I do think the rocks would fly though so it would have to be quick swipes. They may also eat the gravel if small enough

3. 2-dimples

Mar 17, 2008
    Woodinville, WA
    Yeah, that's a good idea to use a power washer. The gravel isn't really tiny so I don't think they'd be able to eat to much of it..... Do you think I need to disinfect it with bleach solution?

4. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    In my opinion I would to prevent any disease to your chickens

5. 2-dimples

Mar 17, 2008
    Woodinville, WA
    Okay thanks for your help!

6. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    You are welcome and if you have any other questions dont hesitate to ask [​IMG]

7. Brian

Brian Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2007
    Jacksonville, ORegon
    I think gravel is a bad idea. I know it wasn't your idea, but I'd remove it entirely. Chickens want to see the ground, look for insects and seeds, and they want to take dirt baths to prevent mites, fleas, etc. If drainage is an issue, get some more soil and mound it up.

8. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Quote:I agree with Brian on this one. I couldn't imagine being a chicken and living on gravel, personally, but that's just me.

Dawn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by