Gravel in coop?

Silkiechicken66

Songster
6 Years
Jul 22, 2016
So we are switching our bedding in the coop from shavings to sand. My mother ordered the sand, but she accidentally ordered multi-purpose gravel.

Instead of taking back the $100+ worth of gravel, would it be safe to use as a bedding? Or is it too coarse/big.

Maybe in the run, but thinking gravel, it might weigh a bit much for your coop. The hens probably would be fine with it though. Is there a way that you can return it though?

Unfortunately, gravel is not a good substrate for a coop floor. Poop will end up mixed down in it, and it will be impossible to get out. If it gets wet, it will stink.

It will also be hard on the chickens' feet, especially as they jump down from their roost. One sharp stone can cause a small injury on a foot that can lead to bumblefoot.

You could use the gravel in various places, such as around the outside of your (human) house, or the coop/run, to discourage pests from digging under. Or for drainage in planting pots, but I agree it's a foot injury waiting to happen, whether they land on it jumping down from the roost or scratch for goodies in the soil and hit a piece of gravel.

Personally I'd take it back or use it somewhere else.
Why the switch to sand from shavings?
We are going to use it to fill in muddy parts of the yard.
We decided to switch because our local store stopped selling the shavings we use and several people in my family are allergic to different kinds of wood. We could only use this one brand.
We already switched one coop, and they did great.

Unfortunately, gravel is not a good substrate for a coop floor. Poop will end up mixed down in it, and it will be impossible to get out. If it gets wet, it will stink.

It will also be hard on the chickens' feet, especially as they jump down from their roost. One sharp stone can cause a small injury on a foot that can lead to bumblefoot.

This.

We decided to switch because our local store stopped selling the shavings we use and several people in my family are allergic to different kinds of wood. We could only use this one brand.

That's very awkward for you. I hope the sand works out.

Straw is traditional, but takes a lot of management to keep it from packing, matting, and developing anaerobic pockets. I've heard that chopped straw is better about that but haven't tried it.

Back
Top Bottom