Gravel in the run?

ElleninDublin

Songster
10 Years
Sep 9, 2009
Eugene, OR
The area we will be building our small chicken run is currently covered in "pea gravel." Do I need to clear all of it out or can it become a part of the initial "flooring" of the run? Thanks for any advice!

Yes. It’s fine. The chickens will scratch it up for you. You can add deep litter on top if you desire, much, bark, leaves, grass, etc. or just leave as is and toss them some straw on occasion. Irregardless, they will scratch and dig holes.

I’d add a six to ten inch layer of natural, washed, coarse river sand on top of the pea gravel. (Just build it up with boards - like a raised garden inside the fence.) It’s easy to clean, doesn’t mold when it gets wet, great for grit and dustbathing, and it’s inexpensive!

E1EC6A62-BD12-4B07-A4F8-B5BE63753500.jpeg

With all our flooding in OK deep litter is ruined. We are building a new run in the other side and we will be putting a base of sand and on top pea gravel and on top if that pine bark. I realize this is an especially wet year but we are going to be ready for the next time. Until we get new area ready I had to put bricks as a dry walking area for them (and us). This spring has just been awful on everyone.

Back
Top Bottom