Gravely ill light braham bantam hen need help FAST!

Chickenaddict

Songster
11 Years
May 19, 2008
East Bethel MN
1) What type of bird , age and weight.- Light brahma bantam hen 3 1/2 yrs old unknown weight

2) What is the behavior, exactly.- SHe was laying in the nest this morning and when I got home from work she was all poofed out and lethargic, she can't stand and is dripping whitish liquid from her vent. Feels like she may be egg bound

3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.- No bleeding, no visible injuries no fowl smells coming from her face, no nasal discharge and no wheezing

4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.-I have no clue, she was just fine yesterday, she even laid a perfect egg as usual

5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.- she is on layer crumbles mixed with gamebird feed and scratch grains. The gamebird feed is to suppliment their protein while they are molting. She hasn;t eaten a thing all day, her crop is totally empty

6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.- Running and mostly white. Her vent is constantly constricting

7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?- I soaked her in a warm bath and massaged her belly

8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?- I have to treat her at home

9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
10) Describe the housing/bedding in use- She is wrapped in a towel in the bathroom in the process of getting blow dried

She is 3 1/2 yrs old and is in the process of molting. Completely lethargic, eyes half open, comb is really red. She doesn't feel feverish. She can't stand or walk at all, she is VERY weak. Please help me save her if at all possible

She had originally came from mcmurrays. I lost 2 other hens this year from the same symptoms she is displaying. One day they are fine and the next day they act like she is, by the next morning they are gone! When I saw her on the nest this morning I thought nothing of it and just figured she was laying an egg altho she did look a bit poofed out I thought maybe she was going broody? When I came home and saw her in the same spot I knew something was wrong. It has been very cold and rainy here and they usually free range but since it has been colder they prefer to hang out in the garage coop. I use pine shavings and straw for bedding mixed with DE. I stir it daily and add new litter weekly. Once a month I take out all bedding and add fresh. Fresh water is provided daily as well as fresh feed. It has been a consistant 50 degrees in the garage for them so no major temp changes. Any advice or remedies will be GREATLY appreciated!

Nevermind she passed just moments after I posted
hit.gif

Thanks guys
I do use pine shavings it's cedar shavings that are toxic.
It was very sudden and my heart is broken!
It seems to be all the absolute favs always die, this is the 3rd hen I lost this year, all came from the same hatchery 3 1/2 years ago
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom