Gravity Fed Autowatering System

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

Y'all have seen mine...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=47991&p=7
Post #66, gravity fed from a 5 gallon bucket. Works GREAT.

http://www.cutlersupply.com/store/item.0882.html
Cups are from Cutler's, and as far as I can tell, even the quail and chicken chicks are using it now.
smile.png

thumbsup.gif
it's one way to go!
big_smile.png

NICE NICE NICE!​

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

Quote:
NICE NICE NICE!

*blush!* Thanks Dave~​

I calls 'em like I sees em. You have some coopishness there that I can only be envious of at this stage. Much to think about...
Could we see more, maybe in a separate post? (we wouldnt want to get off topic)

big_smile.png
Just look at the rest of the first link... that's my "Breeders coop" thread. I decided when I started this venture that a) I was going to do it so it was convenient/efficient for me, and b) that it gave a professional aura for the business. I got two thumbs up from the guys in the big city that run the State Vet/USDA office. Must be doing something right. Now if I could just make enough to hire someone else to scoop poopies, I'd be in heaven. Just play with the babies all day.
lol.png

Sorry Miss P...

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks. I have 6 rain barrels already. I made them myself with brass spigots.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will make some photos of my barrels and the spigots I used.

I'd love to see photos, Miss P... I need to set up something to catch all... this... rain... we've been getting...
barnie.gif

Miss Prissy I have used the MiraFount stock tanks for over 20 years. They hardly ever freeze! They have about 3" of insulation. (stryfoam filled) What I would do is get a roll of insulation and wrap it around the barrels, duct tape it, then cover that with something like a heavy duty garbage bag to protect the paper side of the insulation. Ok its gonna freeze just on top on very very cold days so dont worry,
old.gif
ice floats and you are using from the bottom of the barrel.

I keep big rubbermaid plastic trash cans full of water in the barn in the winter. We have those days when everything feezes and the hose is not a possibility. I don't have running water at the barn. It would be a huge undertaking to do so and not worth it unless the day comes we have to sink a new well. So, come cold weather I stockpile water in the barn. We did fairly well this last winter. The water held out through freezing days. The temps rose to about 40 and those days gave me a chance to refill the big cans.

I am sick and tired of the summer situation and am trying to do something about it.

My dh is on vacation next week and I am trying to get everything in place so we can do this quickly and move on.

I plan to use a garden hose attached to the barrel to pipe the water over to the pens. Then attach it to PVC pipes with drink cups.

58 gallons of water should hold out far longer than a 5 gallon waterer that gets gross and nasty and the birds poop around it and even high off the floor they manage to make a mess in it with shavings.

I am working for a solution!

This sounds like an interesting idea. How many little watering cups would I need for 30 chickens? Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom