gray saddleback pomeranian. or buff american?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by country_girl011, Dec 6, 2011.

1. country_girl011

country_girl011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    ohio
    which have a better temperment and in everyone's experience is less likely to be agressive.
    i am looking to get a goose, or a pair of geese (2 females) to protect my duck flock, and so my ducks can freerange finally.
    i have heard good things about both breeds.
    but which has a more even temperment?

2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Americans! Well thats why I want them. They are suppost to be the best temermented goose ever!

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    There are too many factors in personalities. It will vary on how the goose is raised. I've had a gray saddleback pomeranian and he was a wonderful gander. Very sweet and affectionate. Also geese don't really "protect" ducks. Their honks can alert them but they can't really fight off a predator. Plus my geese ignore my ducks.

4. country_girl011

Aug 7, 2011
    ohio
    i have heard alot of storys of geese protecting ducks when they are raised with them

the buffs would be from a hatchery.
    saddlebacks i know a guy who raises them .

5. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Geese all have individual personalities. I don't care what the hatchery info says about the breed. I go by individual, they are all different even though they might look the same.

ETA: Just a little experience here. I don't reccomend putting call ducks or any duck under 4 pounds in with geese. Had a horrible experience with that and also I would make sure you have all the ducks you want when you add the geese in with the ducks they are going to live with since geese will murder new birds that happen to come in their territory. I have not had any pleasant experiences with geese, EVER! Next time (if there is a next time) I will be housing the geese by themselves and the ducks by themselves.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2011
  6. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I had big american buff yearling to get killed by a hawk, which really surprised me, and then of course they aren't going to be any match for a coyote or a bobcat. So just fyi, they may help a little but I wouldn't rely on geese as a secure protection.

7. extraordinaryfowl

extraordinaryfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    You might do better with a donkey - they are very protective and don't like smaller dog-like animals.

8. country_girl011

Aug 7, 2011
    ohio
    im not relying on them as a sole protector. but they will keep the cats away and will be more vigilant than the ducks.

9. country_girl011

Aug 7, 2011
    ohio
    o and fyi we have no coyotes, or bobcats, just hawks but the dogs keep them away

10. extraordinaryfowl

extraordinaryfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    Pretty much any goose will raise a racket when it sees and intruder - also lighter breeds can be jumpier, but it more depends on how you raise them how friendly they are.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by