** GRAZING FRAME/BOX! Salad bar for chickens! (DIY video!) **

I did this in my grow-out run. We had built a sandbox for my kids when they were younger (as opposed to buying one). They weren't using it, so we moved it (open bottom, 2x6's used to make 8 by 8 box. I put 2x4 strips (2 of them) in and then tacked hardware cloth on top. I bought rye seed and planted it, the birds love it. It is the first place the birds run to when I open the hatch in the morning. I am thinking about putting them around the entire parameter next, it has worked so well. Nice little idea I got from this website earlier and was able to use recycled material to boot. I water it when I fill the duck pools and it has done well so far in the heat.

I got my frames finished last night! They are not what I wanted them to be, due to my non-chicken person funding the project (lol) who balked at the price of 2x4's and hardware cloth. I ended up using cedar fence pieces and a tough, plastic hardware cloth. The wood is terrible so I don't expect it to last too long, but the cloth is holding up, so far, to chickens. I haven't planted in them yet, just to be sure the plastic cloth will work, but it's looking good so far! Probably because my chickens are Polish, which are smaller, thinner birds anyway. :) I'll take pics when I have them planted!
Hardware cloth doesn't come in plastic...... could you should a pic of the plastic mesh?

Hardware cloth doesn't come in plastic...... could you should a pic of the plastic mesh?

I didn't think it did, either. We went down the fencing aisle, I pointed out the cloth I needed and non-chicken partner about fell over. I found it a little bit over. It may not hold up very well, I'm going to put it through its paces.

Here is an item from Lowes that is very similar. Mine was 36" x 15'
http://www.lowes.com/pd_157763-13113-751397_0__

I didn't think it did, either. We went down the fencing aisle, I pointed out the cloth I needed and non-chicken partner about fell over. I found it a little bit over. It may not hold up very well, I'm going to put it through its paces.

Here is an item from Lowes that is very similar. Mine was 36" x 15'
http://www.lowes.com/pd_157763-13113-751397_0__
Well, in my mind, if it isn't metal it isn't hardware cloth. I see this as a plastic mesh. But I suppose that it's just semantics to the general public...and of course using the term 'hardware cloth' is probably a boon to the marketers.

The product in the link is UV stabilized, who knows how long it might last. Probably need to be supported in more places than hardware cloth because of lack of stiffness. Doesn't say how big the 'wires' are, so openings might not be quite 1/2".
Let us know how it works out...maybe a new thread titled 'grazing frames with plastic mesh' showing your build and that could be updated down the road?

Sorry, I'm an industrial designer, long experienced in looking at materials closely.

Well, in my mind, if it isn't metal it isn't hardware cloth. I see this as a plastic mesh. But I suppose that it's just semantics to the general public...and of course using the term 'hardware cloth' is probably a boon to the marketers.

The product in the link is UV stabilized, who knows how long it might last. Probably need to be supported in more places than hardware cloth because of lack of stiffness. Doesn't say how big the 'wires' are, so openings might not be quite 1/2".
Let us know how it works out...maybe a new thread titled 'grazing frames with plastic mesh' showing your build and that could be updated down the road?

Sorry, I'm an industrial designer, long experienced in looking at materials closely.

That's fine. :) I can start my own thread. I just improvised with what I had available to replicate this item. I got them planted last night and watered down. We'll see how they last. I'm skeptical, but hopeful that it will hold up. It comes in various sizes and I chose the one I felt my chickens wouldn't get their heads in or stuck. I was able to get it pretty tight by tacking a start and then having someone use pliers to pull taut, and then stapling down. The u-nails were splitting the cheap wood. Heavy duty staples all over the place are keeping it in place. The chickens have been all over it since they saw me throwing seed down and it seems to be holding well. My biggest concern, at this point, is keeping the seeds moist enough in this terrible heat.

Here are the pics. Please excuse my weird scarecrow. :p

That's fine. :) I can start my own thread. I just improvised with what I had available to replicate this item. I got them planted last night and watered down. We'll see how they last. I'm skeptical, but hopeful that it will hold up. It comes in various sizes and I chose the one I felt my chickens wouldn't get their heads in or stuck. I was able to get it pretty tight by tacking a start and then having someone use pliers to pull taut, and then stapling down. The u-nails were splitting the cheap wood. Heavy duty staples all over the place are keeping it in place. The chickens have been all over it since they saw me throwing seed down and it seems to be holding well. My biggest concern, at this point, is keeping the seeds moist enough in this terrible heat.

Here are the pics. Please excuse my weird scarecrow. :p

Looks good but I don't think the plastic will last long at all. Has anything sprouted yet:)

Looks good but I don't think the plastic will last long at all. Has anything sprouted yet:)

So far it is doing great. We'll see how it goes but so far no issues at all. The hardest part will be surviving the sun and the freezes we can get in winter time.

So much is sprouting! It's juuuuust getting tall enough to start poking through the mesh, so I'm excited! They have it figured out and can see the greens but can't reach them yet. They all pile on and peer down in there trying to figure it out. :p

Back
Top Bottom