Grazing Frame - Fodder Table Box - Continuously Grow Fodder & Seedlings & Sprouts For Chickens

Ok, here's what my daughters and I just did:
  1. Built a "raised bed" planting frame (3' x 4') out of 2x6 lumber from the old coop. This will be stationary / filled with soil.
  2. Built a screen frame out of 1x4 ripped down the middle (1x2) and 1/2 inch hardware cloth. This will be put on top of the 2x6 frame / removable as needed. We also added some long strips of wood to add structural support for the chickens, that won't impede the growth of the seed.
  3. Filled the raised bed with a potting soil.
  4. Created 4 text "quadrants":
    1. Top-Left: Pre-soaked / sprouted seeds (2 days old) + soil cover
    2. Top-Right: Seeds + soil cover
    3. Bottom-Left: Pre-soaked / sprouted seeds (2 days old), NO soil cover
    4. Bottom-Right: Seed, NO soil cover
    5. BONUS: Middle rectangle: fully sprouted 10-day-old seed mix
  5. Gave everything a nice watering
  6. Let my daughter's favorite hen (that's been getting CRAZY bullied the last 2 weeks) have the first-go at pecking through the hardware cloth to try and get the tops of the sprouts.
chicken-fodder-table-grazing-frame-1.jpg

chicken-fodder-table-grazing-frame-2.jpg

chicken-fodder-table-grazing-frame-annimated-chickeh.gif

Updates!

Stuff is growing well! Frame is working better than expected!

I think my last-minute decision to make the top of the frame "removeable" was a much better idea than I thought it would be. The girls are kicking up a ton of mulch onto the frame, and being able to just lift and tip, makes cleaning it SUPER easy! Also, if / when I ever want them to go inside and dig up the dirt, it will be really easy to give them access!

Here's the top of the frame turned over:
grazing-frame-chickens-10.jpg

Seeds growing:
grazing-frame-chickens-11.jpg

Happy girls:
grazing-frame-chickens-12.jpg

grazing-frame-chickens-15.gif

Updates!

Stuff is growing well! Frame is working better than expected!

I think my last-minute decision to make the top of the frame "removeable" was a much better idea than I thought it would be. The girls are kicking up a ton of mulch onto the frame, and being able to just lift and tip, makes cleaning it SUPER easy! Also, if / when I ever want them to go inside and dig up the dirt, it will be really easy to give them access!

Here's the top of the frame turned over:
View attachment 2428986

Seeds growing:
View attachment 2428988

Happy girls:
View attachment 2428995

View attachment 2428989
Do you let them at it all the time? I am thinking about building the fodder table because my run is 25x50 and there’s plenty of room for one. I want more greens gor the girls and darker egg yolks!

Do you let them at it all the time?
So far, yes. :)

That's the beauty of how (it's supposed to) work: They can only eat / access the tops of the seedlings, so the plant "should" keep growing for a bit without getting pulled / dug-up at the roots if they had full access to the dirt.

So far, yes. :)

That's the beauty of how (it's supposed to) work: They can only eat / access the tops of the seedlings, so the plant "should" keep growing for a bit without getting pulled / dug-up at the roots if they had full access to the dirt.
I’ve been researching them and lots of people sprout them one pan at a time then feed them squares like Rice Krispies treats. I have over 100 chickens so I am building a 8’x8’ table like the video in the beginning of this thread shows. My hens love greens but I can’t free range out here where I live. Too many predators. My run is 25x50 with an 8x20 adjoining coop with 15 nest boxes. They love it.

Up off the ground / taller would have been better for me since my girls are definitely kicking up mulch onto the screen. It's easy to clean, but a bit of it is falling through and mulching the seeds.

So, I either need to remove the mulch and/or raise the bed.
I’m starting on my fodder table this week. I like the idea of maximizing space and that the table will be another area the hens can shelter when it rains. I may also incorporate watering and feeding area under it.

Back
Top Bottom