Great experience in Ocean County NJ

remme

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 30, 2013
Jersey Shore
Not sure what everyone else's experiences are like with these two wholesalers/breeders but I have nothing but fantastic things to say about Rob over at Schusters farm in Lakewood and Bruce at Jersey chickens in Jackson. Both have an amazing knowledge of chickens in general and keep their facilities pretty clean for the work they do and Ive been to some shot-out places trying to sell in-bred chicks before. I keep finding myself going back to Schuster's and Jersey Chickens time and time again. I know there is a bunch of negative publicity around about Schuster's but I dont see where it all comes from. Most of the negativity I hear is from other chicken breeder's who try to chase me away from going back to him. The quality and diversity in these guy's breeds are almost unparalleled in and around the Ocean County area. All my birds are extremely healthy and appear to be pure to their breed standard. Schuster's also offers a Roo return policy and I've returned a few to him only to go back months later and see the same birds ALIVE and healthy. Check them out if your in need of good chicks. Hard to beat their hospitality. I never thought in a million years that i'd get so much enjoyment out of talking to two dudes about chickens and goats for hours on end.

Hello Remme,

Wow.... A "Roo return policy?" That is definitely unparalleled, and sounds like a great thing. Does Schuster's have a website or are they more of a local operation?

He's a local business. I didn't even know he existed and ive grown up and worked in that town my entire life. Another breeder directed me to him and it was a pleasant experience. He has a no kill policy so he takes the cockerels in and either keeps them or finds homes for them. Nice guy. You can just google schusters poultry farm in Lakewood nj and all the info pops up if your interested. Ive purchased lavender orpingtons, frizzled cochins bantams, barred cochins, white crested black polish, buff laced polish, quails and Japanese bantams from him.

Cool, thanks for the info. I live in NC; however, I do have family in Jersey so maybe I can get up with him on one of my visits.

Thanks for your input. I actually bought a white silkie hen from Schusters about 4 years ago & she just passed away Tuesday night. I have an orange silkie hen that was born in my coop from fertilized eggs I got. Now poor Pumpkin needs a friend again & I'm going to try to go there tomorrow. I want a hen that's maybe 2 years old so both are the same age. I'm also going to check out the guy in Jackson. I do remember Schusters telling me when I got Pippie that the Mexicans do go there & buy chickens to kill & eat. Not sure if he's changed his policy. I'm a vegetarian & my chickens are for pets & love only.

I ended up having a misunderstanding with Schuster and his true colors came out. We no longer do business with him. JerseyChickens in Jackson NJ is a very nice place. Bruce and his wife are very knowledgeable and usually have a nice selection of different aged birds at a reasonable price. He is also one hell of a coop builder. There is also a a breeder of heritage birds, rumpless araucana's, true ameraucana's and tolbunt polish in Medford, NJ by the name of Nancy. She does a lot of her own breeding and hatching on premises. I see her ads every once in awhile on craigslist. Shes very eager to learn, sell and trade anything chicken. Just a few choices for you. Ive found that if your into chickens generally hatching them yourselves is the most rewarding aspect of the hobby. If your looking for common heritage breeds that are already sexed your best bet is to go to tractor supply, agway or one of the reputable online hatcheries thatll have a 90% sex rate. Unless the breed is autosexed as chicks I dont care how good or knowledgeable a person is...a guess is a guess.

Back
Top Bottom