Great-horned Owl Fun in 2018

Pics

centrarchid

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Holts Summit, Missouri
Owl is catching rabbits apparently about 1 every 3 days. It then drags kills along mowed grass ways to SE corner of cockyard where owl then either drags or flies with carcass down hill in a SE direction. Owl is using barn as hunting perch at least part of the time. It does not hoot when I can hear it even when not close. It appears to be sleeping in fence row SW of cockyard and lands on beehive in that area frequently.

A pullet that routinely fails to go back into pen at night roost down low inside some equipment the owl can not fly to. When owl came in previously, same pullet would hide in a 5-gallon bucket under work bench.

The race is now on each evening before dark to get free-range juveniles penned and locked down before owl comes in. I can see the bugger sitting in dead tree to east of property just watching.

My recently turned 5 year old daughter is helping me police up a brooder reared batch that was released for first time to today and trying to roost very much in the wrong spot. She has no problem crawling under cages to collect each chick. Failure to return to pen is likely do to harassment by owl when chicks in pen. Line of sight between owl and roosting chicks will be blocked. A pullet that was targeted by owl last night chose a very different site in the middle level of the barn work bench. If my rather short stature daughter was not helping I would not have found the pullet.

Based on literature, Great-horned Owls will eat Barred Owls when they get the chance. Yet, they have overlapping territories. Barred were coming here only on moonless night while Great-horned where coming in only on moonlit nights. I have not seen any Barred owls on my place in over 4 years even though they are on road about 1/4 mile away frequently.

Great-horned Owl came into barn right at dark. A game pullet roosting on top of a pen in back corner of barn flew about 150' to land on the roof of a cockpen near gate along path to house. Dogs where into the fray very quickly making so owl had no chance at pullet. I did not see owl going in but I think was no where near pullet other than up where she could see it. I policed up pullet and placed her in a coop another 100' closer to house. In AM before dawn I opened it so she could get out. She did not come out until some time afternoon so likely worked up by owl encounter the night before. She stayed down around coop and gate until just before dark when she slipped back into barn and went directly to her usual roost inside the protected pen. If I was not aware of what happened, then pullet would have appeared to be missing for about 24 hours.

The owls may be dealing with migrating raptors. During day the Red-shouldered Hawks which appear to hold territories year round are working hard to keep migrants moving through. Yesterday we saw six a once with lower two residents screaming and displaying. Before thermals started up they were pushing migrants from perch to perch.

This may also be an outbreak year for northern owls where their prey base has crashed forcing them to move south. A Snowy White Owl would get the locals riled for sure.

Back
Top Bottom