GREAT NEWS in Montgomery County, MD!

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances' started by chateau poulet, Nov 16, 2012.

1. JJ--

JJ-- Chirping

Apr 18, 2015
    They have not changed. Still 25’ set back and 100’ from neighbors.. with many of the council members now forced out due to recent term limits imposed upon them, many were not in the mood to entertain changing chicken ordinances due to them running for another office. I am waiting for the next crew to be voted in (and a bit more progressive in their thinking) and will start reaching out to them to get the ball going.

However, the county lawyer did write a letter stating that moveable, wheeled, coops are not considered an accessory structure and do not count in regards to the code. So as long as you don’t get a rooster, pick up you poop to prevent smell, and share eggs with neighbors then you will be ok. I eventually even let each house name a chick so they could see the eggs from their babies.

2. HeyChickadee

HeyChickadee In the Brooder

Jul 3, 2018

Awesome news! Thank you for posting this! I live in Taneytown, MD and this is great to know that a surrounding county has updated their regulation! It will help me in gathering more evidence for backyard chickens.

3. 336White Phoenix

336White Phoenix Songster

May 30, 2018
    Ireland
    :celebrate:wee:ya:clap:thumbsup:highfive:Well done

4. John2510

John2510 In the Brooder

Apr 14, 2019
    FYI -

I found this Montgomery County Department of Permitting Services website regarding "Backyard Chickens":
    https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/DPS/Process/zspe/Chickens.html

It contains the following information:

Zoning information
    • The zoning ordinance does not prohibit the keeping of chickens; however, 59.3.2.9.B.2 does prohibit Roosters.
    • The zoning ordinance does regulate placement of chicken coops: In Montgomery County any accessory building or structure used for the housing, shelter, or sale of animals or fowl other than a household pet must be a minimum of 25' from a lot line and a minimum of 100' from a dwelling on another lot. The structure must be in the rear yard.
    • Be sure to check with Animal Control regarding regulations as it pertains to chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: