GREAT NEWS in Montgomery County, MD!

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances' started by chateau poulet, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Big Bubba

Big Bubba Songster

May 19, 2013
  2. Jetpad

Jetpad Chirping

The process for the new zoning in Montgomery County is a total mess. Every time they announce something, you can't tell what they are saying or what things are changing. I *think* this is the latest draft of the zoning documents

http://www.montgomeryplanning.org/development/zoning/

And if you go to the "59-3 Uses and Use Standards" document on that list.

http://www.montgomeryplanning.org/development/zoning/documents/59-3.UsesCouncilClean2.18.pdf

and search for "Urban Farming", it has the new language that has been posted before on this thread ("...One fowl may be kept for every 1,000 square feet ... 15 feet setback ... ). Which is good news if it actually passes like that. BUT what I found is that in that same document, in Use Table 3.1.6, the residential detached zones do not permit "urban farming". The zones that do permit urban farming are the Residential Townhouse and Residential Multi-Unit zones. That doesn't make any sense. It does say "Farming" is permitted in the residential detached zones but doesn't clarify the definition of "Farming" in relation to keeping chickens like they do for "Urban Farming". I'm still hopefully but have no idea what to expect.

Here is where you can make comments on the drafts.

http://www.montgomeryplanning.org/development/zoning/comment.shtm

3. hbhoffman

hbhoffman Songster

Feb 23, 2014
    md
    Still reading...and not getting it. You have to be able to download pdf files which I can't. So can you keep chickens if you can keep the coop 100 feet away from your nieghbors property line? Not a flock of thousands but a few? Are they considered pets? And does any of this affect how an HOA rules stand? We missed being IN the City of Gaithersburg by .2 of a mile!
    Anyone want to try to clarify?

4. ChiknEGG

ChiknEGG Hatching

Aug 2, 2011
    I'm participating on a panel discussion about urban farming tomorrow, Saturday, and I'd like to know if you found out anything else about the status of the ordinance on urban chickens in Montgomery County. The language on the link you posted doesn't address anything other than chickens on an actual urban farm, as I read it...

Any news would be great. You can email me directly [email protected]

Thanks, Lisa Dearden

5. hbhoffman

hbhoffman Songster

Feb 23, 2014
    md
    Any updates? The council was supposed to meet March 4 accord to that letter from council president, Mr. Craig Rice.

6. Jetpad

Jetpad Chirping

Well it looks like for now they are not changing the rules for chickens. For people that are using the pet exception, what have you done about the coop? Do you get a permit to build the coop as a shed or don't get a permit? I'm worried about spending the time and money to build the shed and have the county make me remove it as a technicality if I don't get a permit OR make trouble if I do the permit paperwork as a shed and then when they come to inspect it and see that it is obviously a chicken coop and cause whatever trouble they can.

7. Big Bubba

Big Bubba Songster

May 19, 2013
    I can't see any reason why you'd need a permit for a shed or, even, a coop for that matter. If you need a permit for a shed there are a whole lot of violations going on in my neighborhood.

I emailed the very esteemed George Leventhal, or as I like to call him - the weasel from Takoma Park. He said the reason they didn't vote on zoning changes for raising chickens is because it was an issue that was controversial enough on its own that it should be voted on separately. Which, of course, they haven't done, nor does there appear to be any plans to do so. It seemed to make sense to me to vote on a zoning change regarding chickens on a bill that was a major renovation of the zoning regulations. But, then again if I was just a smidgen as smart as the weasel from Takoma Park thinks he is I would be a certified genius.

Remember folks, this year the whole Council is up for election. Ask candidates their position on this measure and tell them you plan to vote accordingly.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  8. hbhoffman

hbhoffman Songster

Feb 23, 2014
    md
    Hi All, This Sat. Aug. 15,2015 is a "Clear the Shelters" event. There are 4 hens and 2 roosters up for adoption!
    This means on Sat.*Only* the fees are waived. You can check their website for more info. And for photos.

9. JJ--

JJ-- Chirping

Apr 18, 2015
    Hi,

There is a desire to try again to organize and change the laws in Montgomery County after noticing the success in the City of Rockville, MD that is now allowing chickens. We are trying to rally again and reorganize to coordinate with County to provide a unified approach in how to change the laws.

However we need your help!!! Please see the link below or email me directly to participate. Our steps are to organize, go to county council as a unified group, provide a plan that would accomplish our goals as well as address the naysayers and try again.

I find it interesting that Montgomery County would host a MOCO GreenFest Backyard Chicken Demostration (4/30/16) when the arcane laws governing backyard chickens would preclude most of the county from participating.

Below is a quote from the organizer. Please spread the word and help us organize!

Begin Quote:

"Not to ruffle feathers, I have created a place where we can discuss how to approach Montgomery County with message of peace and baskets of eggs.

Because the MoCo mailing list is really only about caring for chickens and not about approaching local governments, here is an alternative place for open discussion.

Montgomery County Pet Equality Coalition:
    https://rallyhood.com/rallies/24670

Not everyone is willing to stand up - please respect their decision. "

10. liagabyan

liagabyan Hatching

Sep 24, 2016
    Hello,

I would like to ask whether there are any websites and/or documents that can confirm whether I can keep 2-3 chickens as pets and read the regulations. Also, what office do I contact to request a permit? I am in Chevy Chase, MD, R-60 zone. I do intend to harvest the eggs for consumption.

Thank you!

Gabriela

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: