GREAT NEWS in Montgomery County, MD!

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances' started by chateau poulet, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Amazonlover

Amazonlover Hatching

Oct 11, 2013
    I live in Montgomery county and am VERY excited to have coop with a chicken or two in my backyard! Any idea when the new rules will be final and on the books?

2. MoCoBYC

MoCoBYC Hatching

Jul 3, 2013
    That's great that you are thinking about getting chickens!

They might, or they might not. It's a big risk.

You can make a difference in our local, county legislation. We need the county council to hear your voice heard at a critical public hearing on the Zoning Ordinance Rewrite (ZTA 13-04) on November 12 or November 14. The hearing is at 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 12 (full) and Thursday, Nov. 14 (3 slots open), or you can put yourself on a waiting list.

Read more about the issues: http://www.montgomerycountybackyardchickens.org

BTW, definitely get more than 1 chicken. They are sociable. If you are concerned about the impact, look at "bantam" breeds, which are smaller, and adorable.

3. Amazonlover

Amazonlover Hatching

Oct 11, 2013
    Thanks for the info. I was going to try to get on the 11/13 list (in the one open slot) but it looks like I might have to be out of town for work but I'll definitely send a letter in.

If this passes my next step will be getting a coop. I've already started looking at breeds and the bantams seem great, but then I also really want a buff Orpington, and maybe a Rhode Island Red and a New Hampshire. They all look so cute.

4. petedean

petedean Hatching

Nov 4, 2013
    I just received a letter from Council President Navarro stating that the PHED committee voted not to change the set back requirements from the current law which would effectively ban any additional chickens in the county. She sounded like her expectation is that that is what the council will approve.

A link to the PHED committee discussion is below:
    http://www.mymcmedia.org/phed-committee-discusses-farm-animals-in-residential-areas/

I have written Council member Elrich, who serves on the committee for clarifications but it looks bad for chickens and other farm animals in Montgomery County.

5. BGChkn

BGChkn Hatching

Jul 5, 2008
    This is wonderful news! I was hoping someone on this thread might have information on whether or not I can keep a backyard flock in Boyds, MD. It is technically considered an agricultural reserve (so one would think this includes livestock). However, through numerous searches and phone calls I have not received an clear cut answer. One supervisor at the MoCo 311 stated that as long as I wasn't using the chickens for commercial use it was ok. Do you know if this new law extends to Boyds? It is considered MoCo and is outside of any city limits. -Thanks!

6. petedean

petedean Hatching

Nov 4, 2013
    Things are looking up! Below is the draft that the Council will be debating in mid-January 2014. Please email ([email protected]), write or show up at the hearings! Please spread the word!

Soory for the strange formatting but that's what I could copy off the website (http://www.montgomeryplanning.org/development/zoning/documents/59-3.UsesPHEDFINAL12.16.13.pdf):

The bottom line looks like many more folks would be able to keep chickens if this passes as drafted!

Section 3.2.9.
    Urban Farming
    A.
    Defined
    Urban Farming
    [is]
    means
    the cultivation of fruits, vegetables, flowers, and
    ornamental plants, as well as the limited keeping and raising of fowl or bees and
    the practice of aquaculture.
    B.
    Use Standards
    Where Urban Farming is allowed as a limited use, it must satisfy the following
    standards:
    The minimum area for an urban farm is 2,500 square feet.
    One fowl may be kept for every 1,000 square feet of
    [land]
    lot or parcel
    area;
    roosters are prohibited.
    Aquaculture is permitted in tanks or pools.
    The maximum total gross floor area of all structures,including aquaculture
    tanks or pools but excluding greenhouses, is 10% of the lot or parcel on any
    urban farm.
    The minimum setback for accessory structures from any lot line is 15 feet.
    The maximum height for any accessory structure, including any pitched roof,
    is 14 feet.
    Only manual or walk-behind mechanical equipment and practices commonly
    used in residential gardening may be used.

B.
    Animal Husbandry
    De
    fi
    ned
    Animal Husbandry is the practice of raising hens, ducks, miniature goats,
    rabbits, or bees.
    Use Standards
    Where Animal Husbandry is allowed as a limited use, it must satisfy the fol
    -
    lowing standards:
    a.
    Any accessory structure used to house hens, ducks, miniature goats, or
    rabbits must meet the setback requirements of an accessory structure
    for the zone.

Chapter 59: Zoning Code
    Montgomery County, Maryland

December 16
    [May 2]
    , 2013
    [Planning Board]
    PHED Committee
    Draft
    d.
    One miniature goat may be kept for every 2,000 square feet of land
    area and one hen, duck, or rabbit may be kept for every 1,000 square
    feet of land area. A combined total of 8 animals is allowed per lot. When
    calculating the number of animals allowed per lot, the square footage
    designated for one animal cannot be used to satisfy the square footage
    requirement of another animal.
    e.
    Roosters are prohibited.
    f.
    In the CRN, CRT, CR, GR, NR, LSC, EOF, IL, IM, and IH zones, only bees
    are allowed.

7. Amazonlover

Amazonlover Hatching

Oct 11, 2013
    Has anyone heard any updates since this was debated? Is it going to pass? If so, when will it be official?

8. hbhoffman

hbhoffman Songster

Feb 23, 2014
    md
    Hi all! We are wondering what the status of the laws are for Montgomery County? Any news or updates? Haven't heard anything from our local BYC either.

9. petedean

petedean Hatching

Nov 4, 2013
    Unfortunately the rules aren't changing. Below is the letter I got last week:

OFFICE OF THE COUNCIL PRESIDENT

Dear Mr. Dean,

Thank you for your correspondence expressing your views on liberalizing the law with regard to the keeping of chickens, goats, bees, and other animals. I have shared your correspondence with my Council colleagues, and I am pleased to respond on their behalf.
    In its January straw votes, the Council agreed with liberalizing the law for beekeeping, but retained the provisions of the current code for other animals. The Council was persuaded by the County Health Officer that allowing the closer proximity ofchickens and humans was not a good idea. I recognize that this is counter to your recommendation. The Council will take its final vote on March 4.
    I appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns with me. Your views are important and will help me in my deliberations on matters that affect residents of Montgomery County.

Sincerely,
    [​IMG]
    Craig Rice
    Council President

10. Big Bubba

Big Bubba Songster

May 19, 2013
    ***? I thought this vote was a done deal. I was sure they were going to vote to allow chickens. This burns my doo-dads!

I can't find any info on this vote. Do you know anything.

This blows. Guess I'll continue to be illegal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: