GREAT NEWS in Montgomery County, MD!

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances' started by chateau poulet, Nov 16, 2012.

1. atownchicks

atownchicks In the Brooder

Jan 25, 2013
    Adamstown, Md
    Great job!
    I'm lucky my girls are on Ag land in Frederick Co Md. I live in Brunswick, MD (also in Frederick Co) and the city is VERY against chickens.

2. chateau poulet

chateau poulet In the Brooder

Nov 19, 2011
    Washington DC suburbs
    If anyone is having trouble joining the Montgomery County Yahoo Group, please try going to
    http://groups.yahoo.com/
    Then search for
    Backyardchickensmontgomerycountymd

OR try this link
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackyardChickensMontgomeryCountyMD/

OR email me and I'll send you an "invitation".

The main focus of this group for the next months is staying informed about the new chicken code that is making it's way through to our County Council. So far, we've had great support, and have enjoyed working with the Planning Board to find a reasonable code for BYC that will allow more families in MoCo to have BYC legally. :) The most important thing is that we may need to BE THERE to quietly support BYC in MoCo, in the event that we encounter some push-back in the final stages. This listserv is to quickly get the word out so we can have a presence if we need it, and to keep everyone informed of developments.

Once this new code goes through, then hopefully we can use the Yahoo Group for more FUN things, like organizing a tour of coops, and a meet-up group to talk BYC and get great ideas. Also, if anyone is ever in a pinch and needs quick, LOCAL help, this is the way to put out a call (e.g. immediate re-homing need, etc.)

Thanks for your interest! I'm so excited that BYC folks here in our county are getting connected! :)

3. chateau poulet

Nov 19, 2011
    Washington DC suburbs
    One more note, for families with young kids, when the time comes, PLEASE bring your kids along! It is a great way for the Council to see that this is a family fun activity, and these chickens are our family pets. Kids are GREAT chicken ambassadors! [​IMG]

4. bokbokbokbgok

bokbokbokbgok Hatching

Mar 2, 2013
    Here is some more information...

Here's the page from the MC Planning Commission about an overall update to zoning changes, intended or final review by the City Council in May 2013.
    http://www.montgomeryplanning.org/development/zoning/interact.shtm
    The calendar says there was a work session on agricultural issues this past 28-Feb.
    There have been multiple versions of the overall "Staff recommendations." This PDF may be the latest:
    http://www.montgomeryplanning.org/development/zoning/documents/59-3.Uses7.23.12.pdf

Karin previously posted about this here:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MCPcommunitygardens/message/1740

From what I understand, the staff recommendations are now in their final form (as in 59-3.Uses7.23.12.pdf), and if the council passes them in May, will become the new rule.

Michael

5. chateau poulet

Nov 19, 2011
    Washington DC suburbs
    Hi, All,
    Here is the final text, from Emily Tettelbaum at Park and Planning. [email protected]
    I received this from her on Jan 7, and I have not heard that there have been any changes since then.
    I'll confirm that with her and report back here...

Note that the only setback requirement is to meet the setback requirements for the zone, which is 5 feet from the property line. They removed the "distance from house" requirement because of the complications with people putting on additions which could force a neighbor out of compliance.

"Animal Husbandry
    1. Defined

Animal husbandry is the accessory practice of raising hens, ducks, miniature
    goats, rabbits, and bees.

2. Use Standards
    Where animal husbandry is allowed as a limited use, it is subject to the following
    standards:
    a. Any accessory structure used to house hens, ducks, miniature
    goats, or rabbits must meet the setback requirements of an accessory
    structure for the zone.
    b. One miniature goat may be kept for every 2,000 square feet of land area
    and one hen, duck, or rabbit may be kept for every 1,000 square feet of
    land area. A combined total of 8 animals is allowed per lot.
    c. Roosters are prohibited.
    d. In the CRN, CRT, CR, GR, NR, LSC, EOF, IM, and IH zones, only bees are
    allowed."

6. mcho22

mcho22 Hatching

Mar 27, 2013
    Hello,

I am planning on moving to Gaithersburg, MD in a few weeks. I will have about half an acre in the backyard but I still can't figure out if I'm able to have my chicken coop in the backyard. Can someone help me understand local govt laws and figure out what zoning I'm in. ? You can also answer me back personally at [email protected]

7. leghorn88

leghorn88 Hatching

Apr 22, 2013
    Have the new Montgomery county rules taken effect yet?

8. chateau poulet

Nov 19, 2011
    Washington DC suburbs
    No, tomorrow (Tues April 23) is the last public hearing before the new zoning code goes from the Planning Board to the County Council. Hopefully the Planning Board's recommendation will go through...

9. techchick

techchick Hatching

Apr 24, 2013
    Is there any news on how the planning meeting went yesterday?

10. techchick

techchick Hatching

Apr 24, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: