Great News, KingsCalls! Early Candling Report!

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
Today is Day Five for this hatch of Welsummers from mothergoose , RIRs and Buff Orpingtons from BamaChicken, Blue/Black Ameraucanas from a friend in California, and my own Barred Rocks and Blue Orpingtons, the Orps being custom hatched for KingsCalls. I naturally would not be candling a bunch of Welsummers or even usually any eggs at all at this stage (who am I kidding? Yes, I would, LOL! I'm very bad. Should have said I should not candle at five days!), but some have had trouble lately hatching my Blue Orp Skye's eggs that I've shipped to them, and I was very worried that either she wasn't being mated properly or her eggs were just very delicate and extra hard to ship, moreso than even most Blue Orps. These in my own bator would be the test of what was going on with her.
I decided that since I have a super-powered candler that I would do a small sampling, mostly the Blue Orps, and see how the hatch is starting. Every one of the Blue Orp eggs has textbook embryo and spider veining, every one! Jeff, we have lift-off!
I candled one of the RIRs, one of the Ameraucanas, a couple of the Buff Orps and even one of the Welsummers. All are growing! Would you believe that I could actually see the peep and faint veining in that Welsummer egg???? I was astounded! I really didn't expect that. Now, I feel good enough to sit tight. I'm very pleased, especially about Skye's eggs!

Last edited:
Slide projector turned with the beam pointing upward and a washcloth with a hole cut into it laying across the lens. Works like a charm. I knew it was a great candler, but these are the darkest eggs I've ever tried it on.

Last edited:
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif

CONGRATS! I know this will a great hatch. I love the Welsummers, I am excited to see them.

Keep us posted

Last edited:
Her name is Winnifred! I am so excited. I hope the RIR is female. I need to take new photos of the Blue Amer. (yes I still have it, I am not convinced it is a boy). There has been no comb development since the last photos and they are almost 7 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom