Great, now I want turkeys...

popsicle

Songster
8 Years
Oct 27, 2011
Looking at the mountains in MT
I recently got a couple turkeys with a shipment of chicks--they were 2 bbw. We lost one within a few hours of arrival but the other one is doing well.

I'm enjoying the poult, s/he's so much nicer than the chicks!

So, I figure I can't have one lonely turkey, can I?

I'm looking at ordering some poults and need recommendations/reviews/etc on:
Urch (assortment)
Porter's (crossbreds or assorted)
Cackle (blue slate or any other heritage)

I know I probably won't be able to order specific breeds, but I'm hoping that I would be able to order an assortment--especially since I'm not too picky about colors and such. Heck, I'd even order some more BBW if that's all I can find.

Turkeys are a blast! I've been a turkey raiser for a week and a day now...
big_smile.png
. I got 5 BBB and 6 Bourbon Reds from Cackle. They all arrived alive and so far are doing great! Super friendly birds! The guy I talked to from Cackle said I should get some of their Blue Slates, but I needed to just get what I got at this time....maybe some day. I called them and talked with them on availability of the BR's and BBB's and am glad I did. I got them a couple weeks later. I had them throw in a few Cornish cross chicks to make the 15 min. order. I orded 10 turkeys and they gave me an extra BBB. I have a thread of pictures I have posted of them in this first page of threads some where.

I whole heartedly agree. They little pluckers are some of the most LOVING birds. Their longer necks allowed them to cuddle better than hens. They are wonderful watch dogs - 'barking' at who ever comes into their territory. Great at feeding themselves. Hardy and I did not find them hard to raise at all. They really will steal your heart. I have a loyal turkey egg customer too.

Nice thread. I will be into raising Turkey in about two years. We are planning a move so moving a bunch of birds isn't my ideal situation. I will be moving our small chicken flock due to them being egg providing pets. It is only about a 6 or 7 hour drive but I would feel better if I can get set up for them before getting them.

Back
Top Bottom