Great Pyr. is getting to hen eggs before we do.

Welcome to BYC!
Sorry you are having trouble, and we'll be glad to help you start sorting things out. Let's start with a little more information - how old is your dog, how much work have you done with him/her to establish a role as a good LGD, how is everyone being housed, where are the eggs that the dog is getting to (ie in the coop, in nests that are outside the coop, etc)?

Last edited:
Well, I'm pretty new at this. Have never done chickens before, so I'm learning as I go. The dog is a one year old Great Pyrenees. She's really good with the chickens, but has recently discovered the eggs and is eating them a lot.

The chickens free range. I have an 8x8 secured hen house and six nesting boxes. They are laying anywhere and everywhere. That's another issue. How do I get them to lay in the nesting boxes?

I like letting the dog hang out with the chickens because she protects them well, and I don't have the time to just sit there all day and wait for eggs. I had thought of putting out a bunch of eggs that have an awful taste and maybe she would quickly decide they aren't the best treat.

Any thoughts?

There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around the run. I would confine the chickens to the run for a few days. When they are using the nest boxes regularly, then let them free range once again. That way they learn the coop is a safe place to lay. Also use some golf balls if you have them. They looked like eggs to a chicken and chickens will lay where they see other eggs. Figuring it must be safe for theirs as well. Hope that helps. Good luck with your girls.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

I haven't had to train a dog with chickens yet so I hope someone else comes along that can offer you some training tips. NickyKnack has some good ideas about getting the chickens used to laying in their boxes.

Good luck!

The easiest answer is to train your chickens. Put fake eggs or golf balls in their nesting boxes. Then you can make a door in their coop door that is too small for your dog to get through. The chickens can go in and out their door and their eggs will be safe.

We used to watch our Aussie sneak into the coops. She would come out looking very guilty. We'd call her over, hold out a hand, and she would drop the egg in our hand, unbroken!

I think you could try injecting eggs with hot sauce and leave them out for the dog to find. Chickens love hot sauce etc, dogs NOT so much.

Back
Top Bottom