Great Pyrenees help

chris1265

Hatching
Jun 14, 2016
Alvin,Tx
I have a 6 month old Great Pyrenees female who has ate all the feathers off two cocks it's her first time just wondering if any one knows how I could stop her she didn't bite them and do you know why she just started this thanks

Hi! Maybe she's just mouth-y like a baby and just experiences her world through putting things in her mouth. Alternatively, maybe she figures it's playing behavior. Pyrenees are great livestock protectors and it's important that you establish your birds are not chew toys to be chased around, but other pets that she can - and should - watch over them. Try reintroducing her to them. With two people, you can have someone hold her and someone else hold a bird, as long as it doesn't struggle too much. If it doesn't like to be handled, just let it roam in an enclosed area and hold your pup on a lead nearby so she can see him. Ask her to sit and praise her as long as she behaves nicely. She can sniff the bird (pet the bird too if it's good when handled to show you accept it). If she starts to put her mouth on the bird, firmly say no and remove her or the bird, whatever is easier. Doing this a few times and using positive reinforcement when she's being good should help.Good luck!:)

Breeder should be helping you.

Puppies do dumb puppy stuff until they grow out of it. GPs are mature at two tears old. They do grow out of some things earlier than others. Generally females seem to get some sense about 10 months old. Males can take six months longer.

Do not spank, whip, or hit the dog. Get a five gallon bucket and fill with plastic pop bottle that has about three or four gravel in it. Have these about where you can get to them and throw at dog when you see it doing something bad. Yell NO! And throw weighted bottle. The noise more than anything deters dog. You can also tie about 20 feet of parachute cord to dogs collar so you can grab end and give a yank as you yell NO!

If dog needs it, bite their ear and do a full body lift/slam. You bite ear until dog crys out. This is how momma dog disciplines pups. Same for flipping dog on back, you don't have to be overly harsh or hard.

Also, be careful what you feed as too high protein puppy food can make them hyper and make for joint inflammation. Once pup is about 4 months old put them on a good, namebrand adult dog food.

Before i quit I raised over 30 pups and often had eight adults working. I have had them almost thirty years.

Just establish to the GP that they roos are not for chewing.
Our 1/2 GP, 1/4 Border collie, and 1/4 Australian Shepard acted like my birds guardian from day 1. She was about 3 months old and you would have to drag her in the house to get her to not sit by them. Now she goes down to the yard a few times every night and checks on them. This was all done without training of any sort.
I guess it just depends on the dog

I got a Pyrenees at 7 months she would go after my chicks. My birds free range. I kennels her in the barn where my chicks and chickens roost. She is getting use to the flitting around and the flying down off their
roost.

Back
Top Bottom