Great website showing how to build external nest boxes

We have nest boxes, but it's not like our hens actually use them.
gig.gif

They lay outside, among the nettles... it's a great adventure trying to pick up the eggs!!

Gee, I wish I had seen this a few month ago. Mine work, but this looks easier than what I did! I love to be able to see step-by-step photos like this.

Thanks for posting. Maybe I'll need to do this again some day...

What is the general rule for height of external nest boxes? These plans show 18 inches sloping to 12 inches. I built mine with a 12 inch to 10 inch slope. It sheds water, but I'm concerning is is not big enough for my chickens (RIR and EE). The only egg I've gotten so far was in coop floor not in the nest box (my flock is young).

Turns out we are making ours external after all, and the design on the website will be perfect for us!

jjfab-I think the recommendation is that the chickens can stand up in the nest but I'm not sure. I've also read some say that you *don't* want them to be able to stand up. Since we changed our plans AFTER we framed the wall I'm not sure exactly how big ours will be now. I think the wall opening is 16" tall so probably 16" at the tall end and 12 or 13 at the short end.

I rather like my design: Take a milk crate, fill it with shavings, throw in a golf ball, put it in the corner of the coop.
But I like these designs anyway. Some day I might make my girls a "real" nest box, who can tell?

Quote:
Sounds like your girls already have a "real" nest box. As long as it works for you, don't spend any extra money. I'm a huge recycler, so whatever materials I find, that is what we work with. I don't have ANYTHING new in my chicken yard.
gig.gif

Quote:
lol.png
Those are as real as any other. The biggest reason we're doing this is to be able to pick up eggs from outside (so my kids can gather eggs without going in the coop) and to save on floor space. Mainly the first reason (the 2nd came up when we were planning the roost/poop board).

Back
Top Bottom