Green bean plants?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by nuttyredhead, Jul 30, 2010.

1. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    I am digging up my green bean (wax beans too) plants so i can replant, can i give the plants to the chickens? I checked the trat list and it says you can give them green beans, but nothing about the plants, so i thought i would double check with you all!

THanks!

2. atimme

atimme Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Chicago
    You can give them the plants but they aren't their favorite greens. They will eat the newest leaves and the beans but leave the stalk and tougher leaves. Better than wasting them! [​IMG]

3. nuttyredhead

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Thanks!! At the very least it will them something to do!!! [​IMG]

4. flash5153

flash5153 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    I just read the feed chart on this site again. It says raw beans are harmfull and they must be cooked. But Im not sure if they are talking about green,yellow beans.
    I so far have avoided giving chickens beans from the garden because of this. There are many types of beans ,Im not sure what are being refered to on chart.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I have given the plants to my chickens and have not had any problems. I also give them the ends of the beans that I snap off when I go to cook them.

6. nuttyredhead

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Quote:I took that to mean kidney,black that type of beans.

I hope some else can bring more insight....my girls and roo are going to towm on them.. (the kids have given them the garden beans lately and they seem to love them.)

7. Carpe DiHen

Carpe DiHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    El Dorado County, CA
    Wow, I was going to ask this! I gave them the pea bushes and they loved them! The pea bushed smell so sweet, but the bean bushes no so much. Glad to hear people have used the bean.

8. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Great...I have beans that need to be picked. Been giving them blackeyed peas and cowpeas which they LOVE!

9. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Some beans are toxic but I was told that green and pole beans are fine raw. I've been feeding them to my sugar gliders and rabbits because I grew thousands of them this year.

10. urbanfarmer101

urbanfarmer101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine won't touch them or the plants.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by