"Green" bloom after 7 years of white eggs!

A few of my runners lay blue tinged eggs. I was thinking that it was the couple of gray runners I have, but now I'm wondering if it's the bloom that is blue-ish and not the shell color.
I believe that is the way it is, but I could be wrong. And maybe it is different with different ducks or breeds. It was definitely that way with my cayuga who gave me black eggs. One time she stepped on the egg before the bloom dried and scraped off the bloom. There was a big white duck toe mark where the white shell underneath was visible!

I believe that is the way it is, but I could be wrong. And maybe it is different with different ducks or breeds. It was definitely that way with my cayuga who gave me black eggs. One time she stepped on the egg before the bloom dried and scraped off the bloom. There was a big white duck toe mark where the white shell underneath was visible!
That would be an awesome picture!!!

"duck toe print" why does that make me smile? Is it just me?

That is odd!

Nettle has always had oddly shaped eggs. The point is off centered and the shell isn't consistently thick. The vet says she has a defective shell gland. I'm wondering if part of her errors is that this time she just put down a crazy thick bloom. She did just have a normal for her egg, slightly off white with a shell. Maybe her slightly off white bloom is actually green but so thin it isn't detectable.
This certainly sounds like a very possible explanation. I'm interested to find out. Please let us know how her next egg looks

That would be an awesome picture!!!

"duck toe print" why does that make me smile? Is it just me?
I'm in love with duck feet prints. I stalk my ducks in the snow so I can jump up and down blissfully at their footprints.

0EF26A7B-74D2-48EC-A605-8F5847AB545D.jpeg
28F30FA0-CB37-4ACB-AA55-54DDC66CCD47.jpeg
897B7114-827E-4B06-9BDB-22EB01497C78.jpeg
64B52B7E-1A19-419F-BF9F-4B2896D635FB.jpeg

Last edited:
Interesting how they will do that, I always figured whoever’s bloom was a certain color usually stayed that color🤔
I have a couple Rouens that lay green bloom eggs, it does wash off but I rarely bother, quick rub on the sweat shirt or pant leg(mostly to annoy my wife) and into the bowl it goes. I clean the house out weekly so at worst I might have a week old egg, but the odds of missing it for a week are pretty long.

Back
Top Bottom