Green Cheek Conure

annanicole18

Songster
10 Years
Mar 16, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
Went to a petstore today and my husband and I both fell in love with the Green Cheek they had. About a year old unsexed (lets just say a him)and has been at the current store 6 months they will most likely rotate him out soon to another store since no one in that area has bought him. Was hand fed as a baby but now gets attention mainly from one employee who would love to have him but I think the price is preventing her from getting him. Was super active while we were talking to him and won our hearts by his playful attitude. Was very quiet and she told us that he rarely fusses. He was great for her when she got him out and preened her. We are interested and as much as I would hate to support a big business this little one has an attitude that I like. He is 300. Is that that high for him? Being in a store for most of his life will it make him less sociable or more because he is craving attention? As first time bird owners besides chickens would the Green Cheek be a good choice? We do not want anything that is too noisy all the time like a parakeet nor as flighty. How limited is their vocal ability? I ask you guys because I can read as many things as I want online but you all are real people with real lives.

Quote:
I was raised in a bird home and still can't answer all those questions... lol. Sorry... my dad is the caged bird guy. I know I would buy him. $300 seems reasonable... but I do understand your hesitation to buy from the big chain pet stores. Still, I would. If you like the bird and "he" seems social enough.. go for it before he gets any older. (assuming he looks healthy)

So for your questions.... BUMP

wink.png

Green Cheek Conures are one of the best birds you could own for a pet.I have had one for 10 years and have never had a problem.They are not really that vocal,but will call to you when they want attention.They will also screech some when playing with their toys,which they should have several in their cage.If you are considering buying "him",make sure the both of you handle the bird to see how he reacts to the both of you.they sometimes can become partial to either and man,or a woman.But alot of birds are like that.If you buy him,make sure the both of you handle him.They are easy to care for,they will eat about anything you would eat,but i wouldn't advise doing that.Ours likes a drink of Coke once in awhile,and loves Yoplait yogurt.As for the price,you could get one alot cheaper from a breeder.But as far as pet stores go,$300 is not bad,they go for $400-$450 in this part of the country.If you really like the bird,and the $300 isn't going to break you,i don't think you are making a bad decision.Hope i have been of some help.Take care.

My very first bird was a green cheek named Widget who lived to the ripe old age of 18. She too was a hand raised baby who spent several months in a pet store. I just happened to be the employee who fell in love with her. Way back then the price was around $250 so $300 now doesn't seem to out of the ball park.
They tend to be very quiet (for conures). Not normally great talkers though. But they can have an attitude. Widget was fine with me but boy did she absolutely hate my mother. And she taught a cat or two that birds were for looking at only and not for eating. She was not afraid of anything.

If your heart says 'Yes!' and you still feel that way tomorrow -- go get 'him!'

Very reasonable price --- :)

I've had an African Grey for 16 years and always have a canary -- pet birds are wonderful -- ours make us smile every day --

I have a green cheek conure named Loki. I only paid $125 for him when he was a year old and the original owner was going through medical issues. I think the price is reasonable but really it's what you are willing to pay. I know people will pay $1000 plus for a dog when I would rather get a mutt from the local pound :)

They are one of the more quiet conures and they have gravely voices. Loki trys to talk and a few words we can understand but most of it is unclear. Whether they are quiet or not is really a matter of opinion. Loki does whistle and chatter but I would not consider him noisy. Mine is a male and "struts" around. He has a big attitude for a little bird and is a little clown. They do need lots of toys but mine has never destroyed or chewed any of them up. Mine is a picky eater and although he will try anything there are only a few foods he really likes.

I think the more people they are exposed to the more social it makes them. I purchased Loki from a single man and he bonded quickly to my husband and did not like me. After a few weeks of getting bullied by the little guy I finally started handling him despite getting biten. After about a month he started to like me and bonded to me also. Loki is now social with anyone that comes over.

The only bad thing I've heard about the green cheeks is that they are nippy. However, I also have two quakers and a cockatoo and you learn pretty quick when they are having a bad day.

Thanks for all the advice. My husband and I are still thinking about it 300 is a lot to put just into the bird not to mention the cage and all the trimmings. I would rather get one from a local breeder but this one is just going to be shuffled around from store to store until he eventually gets sold and that's no life for a semi intelligent creature. I might see if they are willing to come down on the price considerably since he has been there six months and they will have to transport him soon to another store... Any ideas where to find a large bird cage for less than store price. I check craigslist but anymore people are trying to get full price for used items.

I buy lots of cages and most of them i buy off craigslist.Garage sales are another good place to find cages.Look for "bird fairs" or swaps in your area,you can find some good deals there also.

I paid $175 and $150 respectively for my two green cheekies. However, the local "big box pet store" gets $300. It's worth $300 if it makes you happy. Hope this helps.

We love our green cheek and plan on getting another! We paid 125.00 from a local breeder. You should check your local Ebay classifiedes they are on there frequently! Ours is very intertaining, and very quiet compared to the Sun conure I had years ago! Good luck and God bless!

Back
Top Bottom