green egg layer??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Prettyhorse32, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Prettyhorse32

Prettyhorse32 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2012
    Jermyn Pa
    Here is my dilemma... I crossed a Buff Orp roo over a light sussex hen last spring as to give me sex links , which it did. But to my surprise one of the offspring which is buff w a little black on the collar and tail( similiar to the light sussex) is laying a green egg.. I thought a light brown or cream egg was what I would get.. Cant figure where the green came from???

[​IMG]

2. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    you have some other blood in there, don't think it is possible otherwise

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Someone's got to have blue genes there somewhere. Do you have pics of the parents?

4. Prettyhorse32

Apr 20, 2012
    Jermyn Pa
    I will grab a few pics tomorrow... I know my Buff Orpington came from Tractor Supply in 2012.. My Light Sussex came form a breeder who shows her birds( doubt its her). Is it possible the Tractor Supply chicks werent pure?? Or I did have an EE Roo that may have had accidently got to my hen but I didnt have them together.. No sign of pea comb or muffs or wild colors...I will put the pics up for you guys to see... Its just for my own curiosity ,I really like the green egg..LOL Thanks Everyone...

5. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Congrats on the pretty eggs, no matter how the oops occurred.

6. Prettyhorse32

Apr 20, 2012
    Jermyn Pa
    I know your right...I love it, but a surprise.. funny if I wanted to get that egg color I probably wouldnt get it that nice..LOL

7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I have been disappointed nearly every time I bought chicks fom TSC. They are healthy, but I have gotten way more cross bred chickens than I wanted. I would guess your rooster is carrying the blue gene.

Imagine my surprise when my leghorns started getting muffs! And again later when they laid green eggs!

8. Prettyhorse32

Apr 20, 2012
    Jermyn Pa
    OMG, I never thought but I guess the mass production is part of reason to get these crossbreeds.. Funny though, I hatched probably 10-15 chicks only, this is the only one that I have that is laying the green eggs, although I sold about 8 pullets before they were laying, who knows what they have been laying.. My Buffs look like Buff Orp, So that is why I was puzzled.. I am not going to use that Roo for anything now.. leghorns w muffs?? I would have been crazy...

9. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Another year I bought sebrights. All of the roosters grew typical rooster tails.......

Then there was the year I bought chicks with muffs and little chipmunk stripes. The hens grew up looking like rhode island reds with muffs. They laid brown eggs.

I guess you know I don't buy chicks from them any more.

10. R@ndy

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Taneytown
    Sometimes think they tend to get mixed up at TSC, a lot of people and their kids come in and handle chicks.. I think more times than not the little fuzzies get put back in the wrong ben

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by