Green Egger Naked Neck Thread

Pics
Draye. Thank you for your response. I was under the impression that the NN trait was multiple allele that included a modifier. Some how related to the scalles gene. So a bird could be a carrier but not show it as a phenotype? ?? So normally feathered siblings of NN will never produce NN offspring?(inbreed).

Last sentence is correct- as for NN, if you do not see it, it is 100% NOT in that bird in any way or form. It's a single dominant gene. You can breed a bird with naked neck with any other bird, barred rock, polish etc and the chicks will come up with naked necks.

NN has nothing to do with scaleless. Completely separate genes. Scaleless actually showed up in a flock of New Hampshires, no naked neck involved. Scaleless is recessive which means a bird can carry it and you can't tell by looking at it... but there is a little something unusual, some carriers do show areas of missing scales on their legs but otherwise they look normal.

Since then, scaleless has been mixed up with NN though, mostly for the fun of it. A NN bird carrying scaleless looks the same as any other NN, except for few of the carriers showing areas of missing scales on their legs.

Last edited:
Edited taken from wiki:
Since this allele is dominant, individuals which are either homozygous dominant (Na/Na) or heterozygous (Na/na+) will exhibit the naked-neck characteristic though the heterozygous individual will exhibit less reduction in feathering - true breeding members of the breed must then be homozygous dominant, and all individuals in the recognized breed must be also. Individuals which are homozygous recessive (or wild type feathered) (na+/na+) would not exhibit any feather reduction characteristics of the Naked Necks and, baring mutation, would be unable to pass that trait down.[8]

I see now

Last sentence is correct- as for NN, if you do not see it, it is 100% NOT in that bird in any way or form. It's a single dominant gene. You can breed a bird with naked neck with any other bird, barred rock, polish etc and the chicks will come up with naked necks.

NN has nothing to do with scaleless. Completely separate genes. Scaleless actually showed up in a flock of New Hampshires, no naked neck involved. Scaleless is recessive which means a bird can carry it and you can't tell by looking at it... but there is a little something unusual, some carriers do show areas of missing scales on their legs but otherwise they look normal.

Since then, scaleless has been mixed up with NN though, mostly for the fun of it. A NN bird carrying scaleless looks the same as any other NN, except for few of the carriers showing areas of missing scales on their legs.

Kev, I have a stupid question to ask you too...so stupid in fact, I will ask it in a PM.
jumpy.gif

Well this project for me is no more.

If there is anyone else that is working on it is welcome to this thread to post their progress and their picture.

Last edited:
I'm sorry. There's not a NN on this property now. Even the 'show project' was shut down and the birds were given to 4-Hers...Life continues and my kids are excited and having fun...that's really all that matters to me. There will always be a place in my heart for NNs and Australorps but the younger generation has to sink their teeth into it now or they could say 'to hell' with all chickens and get on with the dairy goats and rabbits. At least they are still thrilled and happy to get at their chicken chores every day and that means a lot to me...gives me considerable satisfaction.

Last edited:
We have a bunch of nn X arucana and nn x sebright chicks we get from a local guy to hatch some of ours are f1 and some are f2...here is the odd part, he has f2s that lay blue eggs...i thought they would be all green eggs since they were being crossed back over to the same turken roo for the most part.

Back
Top Bottom