Green eggs and egg without shell

SoCal-ludic

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 17, 2016
Rancho Cucamonga
Thanks to all the members that have helped me get this far down the first time backyard chicken road.

I have ended up with three chickens which are 21 weeks old - white leghorn, RIR and Cuckoo Maran. There three have been laying for about 3 weeks.

The Leghorn's eggs are light green. They are getting slightly larger, but continue with the same greenish tint. I have never heard if this is normal, or if there is something to be done.

Second -I have seven other ladies which are just 15 weeks today. They are each a different breed from the 3 above. Just today I found a perfect egg outside of the nest, which was just the membrane, no shell. It was very soft and rubber llike to touch. Could this be an early agg from one of the younger birds. The same day the 3 older birds each laid an egg in the nest.

Any observation of guess about the green eggs or the rubber egg would be appreciated.

Your leghorn must be mixed to be laying green eggs, a photo of her might help determine if that is so.

All hens can occasionally lay shell less eggs, many times they are the first eggs from pullets especially if they are nervous or flighty.

As the egg spends the majority of it's time in the shell gland getting the shell put on a hen can push one out even after laying for the day as it takes about an hour or two to make that part of the egg. So it could be from any of them.

Thanks for the information. My white leghorn appears to be a good specimen, with no indication of a mix. I only have this picture from a few weeks ago. I thought perhaps her eggs would start out smaller with a green tint, but become larger and more pure white. Has anyone had a white leghorn who started with green tinted egg shells?
The "rubber egg" was the size of eggs from the three laying hens. I did not know that a hen could lay a second egg in the same day. I thought it might be one of the first eggs of one of the younger hens. Time will tell.

P.S - I made the mistake of feeding some grain out of my hand to the Kuckoo Maran who now follows me around when they are free ranging in the evening. Very vocal also. It is bit of a pest actually.

Thanks for the information. My white leghorn appears to be a good specimen, with no indication of a mix. I only have this picture from a few weeks ago. I thought perhaps her eggs would start out smaller with a green tint, but become larger and more pure white. Has anyone had a white leghorn who started with green tinted egg shells? The "rubber egg" was the size of eggs from the three laying hens. I did not know that a hen could lay a second egg in the same day. I thought it might be one of the first eggs of one of the younger hens. Time will tell. P.S - I made the mistake of feeding some grain out of my hand to the Kuckoo Maran who now follows me around when they are free ranging in the evening. Very vocal also. It is bit of a pest actually.
Her leg color is wrong, and I can't quite make out her comb type, I believe you have a white EE, the legs of a leghorn are yellow, that's why she's laying green eggs. Hens often become talkative and clingy about a week or less before they start laying so maybe that's what is going on with your Maran.

Thanks. I actually got the white chick at about 4 weeks from a local feed store. I was told she was a Leghorn, and did not know enough to question it. I really appreciate the "good information". Does anyone know the origin of the white EE?

EE are mutts/crosses....could be anything in her background.
EE's are not usually totally white, could be a 'sport' gene in there.

Leghorns have huge straight combs, I'll bet your girl had a pea comb and green legs.

Back
Top Bottom