Green Eggs and genetics

Sissyhen

Chirping
May 28, 2022
We have a blended flock and have a second generation hen, her Roo was a sapphire gem that looked like a cooper maran, and her hen was obviously a buff brahma because she carries most of those characteristics. My question is, where did she get the green eggs??
Our gem and brahmas lay pale brown/pink eggs.

Since green eggs are a result of the blue egg gene which is dominant (plus brown genes) it would have had to come from one of the parents. Since you would have noticed blue/green eggs from the hen it will have come from the rooster.
Do you have a photo of him? I doubt he's a Sapphire gem as the roosters are blue barred and you say he looks like a copper Marans. I bet he's actually one of the Olive egger mixes

Do you have a photo of him? I doubt he's a Sapphire gem as the roosters are blue barred and you say he looks like a copper Marans. I bet he's actually one of the Olive egger mixes
I’ll try to find a picture, we had to cull him do to aggression issues but were surprised at his appearance as well. When we called tsc when he feathered out they confirmed he was Sapphire Gem, they didn’t sound too sure of the breed though.

Here he is, grey with copper, white accents clean feet with large spurs. The hens from his run were grey with some copper tone, silver feet.

Attachments

• 95591DCB-9A6D-4366-B9FC-53D4E18AEC6C.jpeg
    95591DCB-9A6D-4366-B9FC-53D4E18AEC6C.jpeg
    492.6 KB · Views: 10
His coloring is wrong for a blue Marans and Sapphire Gems rooster are blue barred so we can rule that out. He may be a sapphire olive egger

Back
Top Bottom