My barred rock laid her first egg today at 18 weeks old, unfortunately she laid it from the roost and it got broken. It was a decent size for her first, shell was a bit thin but double yolked. She and the sapphire Splash just started squatting couple days ago so hopefully the Splash is next!
Id scramble it and give it back to her. I have six 13 week olds that I’m hoping start at 18 🤞

First time with BLK AUS and a hen started at 17 wks with 3 others @ 18-20. Younger 4 @ 16 wks have not started, soon very soon since they have "mentors". All of our previous birds RIRs and various Rock breeds the same, 1rst @ 17-18 wks.

I got my girls in March. The only thing I can say for sure is so far it’s not 18 weeks. We have Wyendotte, Olive Eggers, Brahma, and a jersey giant in the coop. Also have a batch of Black Copper Marans, Easter Egger, brahama, and a Barred Rock in the brooder because of chicken math.

1 Buff rock(19 wk), a welbar(18wk), are really red and GLW( 18wk) is getting red comb and wattles, but no squatting behavior yet. I Think they are getting close. The other GLW, the other BR, and the 2 EEs don't look red yet.

We have a mixed flock of large crossbred chickens.

We ended up with 4 chicks last year, they have all started laying around 6 months of age.

26 weeks, 28 weeks, 28 weeks and 29 weeks.

3 out of 4 lay eggs consistently between 52g-56g and 1 is still at 44g-45g.

I’ve been contemplating the same thing.
Got one yesterday from one of my Rhode Island blue. My husband wants to blow out the inside and save it. We build our coop together and put so much time into them. Just love them. Now Ill see what she does and the rest. It was obvious she was going to lay, so restless going in and out of coop where the nests are and talking talking to me.

This is my first time with chickens. That said, I have 4 RIRs, 5 Red Stars, 5 Black Australorps, 5 Whiting's True Blues, and 5 Whiting 's True Greens. (I also have 3 cockerels. Sort of irrelevant for this discussion tho'😄) They are all 17 weeks on Tuesday 11July. 2 RIRs, and 2 WTGs laid their first eggs the day before their 16 week birthday. I'm not completely positive but I believe one of the Redstars also laid. This is the haul so far (6 days worth) :weeIt's so exciting and mildly terrifying! View attachment 3571063
Beautiful egg colors. That is a lot of chickens. Have fun.

Back
Top Bottom