Eggs turning green with age?

TinyRaptorDodos

Crowing
May 23, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
I’m so confused. Eggs are supposed to pale with age right? These eggs are from the same hen, I am 100% positive of that. Why is it turning green? It might be hard to see with my camera but the egg went from a nice pale blue to a dark greenish blue with muddy brown spots

One if from when she was nearly 2 years old and one from today when she is almost 3

Attachments

• IMG_7786.jpeg
    IMG_7786.jpeg
    129.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_7787.jpeg
    IMG_7787.jpeg
    150.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7783.jpeg
    IMG_7783.jpeg
    369.3 KB · Views: 9
I’m so confused. Eggs are supposed to pale with age right? These eggs are from the same hen, I am 100% positive of that. Why is it turning green? It might be hard to see with my camera but the egg went from a nice pale blue to a dark greenish blue with muddy brown spots

One if from when she was nearly 2 years old and one from today when she is almost 3
When a hen starts laying, the first eggs tend to be darkest in color, and later ones are lighter.

But after the hen takes a break (like for molting), she will start laying dark eggs again.

So it mostly has to do with how long she has been laying without a break, not how old she actually is.

When a hen starts laying, the first eggs tend to be darkest in color, and later ones are lighter.

But after the hen takes a break (like for molting), she will start laying dark eggs again.

So it mostly has to do with how long she has been laying without a break, not how old she actually is.
She has been on break for a few months now that I think about it! That must be it

Back
Top Bottom