green fire chick special

Nice mix. Interesting that Greenfire is still breeding Tolbunts. . . . I hope they're not inbreeding them. (breeding tolbunt x tolbunt for more than 1 generation)

I just have to ask,what is the "split" in the lemon cuckoos? Did GFF explain that? . . . There's nothing I can think of that is recessive in the Lemon Cuckoo coloring stand-alone without messing up the whole color. Barring is dominant, and all the rest are dependent on each other to create the buff coloration.
idunno.gif

Quote:
gig.gif
lau.gif
Over my dead body.
wink.png
I may have two roos, but I'm not letting go of either of my boys for any reason. . .

I will be offering eggs to those truly interested in improving Tolbunts though. (and not just in it for the money)

From what I understand about the split lemon cuckoo orps is -that the first time you breed them, some of the cockerals will be pure lemon cuckoo, and some will appear buff and carry one gene-toss those- and the pullets will appear buff but carry 1 barring gene. When you cross them back over the pure roo, you get lemon cuckoos and still get some that appear buff and carry that 1 gene..

This is what I can gather from it- Greenfire explains it in their ebay auction for the split lemon cuckoos.

Quote:
Females cannot possibly carry only one barred gene. It is an either or thing with them. That's why you can create sex-linked offspring with barred birds.
wink.png
Males can have one, both, or or none - Females are one or none.

So if anything concerning the barring, it would simply be that they're using sex-linked cuckoos coloration, not splits.

Because Tolbunts already are severely inbred, desperately in need of new genetic diversity, and especially getting some hatch-mates (brothers, sisters) and breeding them together once already is enough, but twice over in the next generation is making things even worse. There's a reason Tolbunt Polish are so rare - They're so tight in the genepool that fertility suffers, birds often die at any random age, birds cannot tolerate too much cold, chicks are born with curled toes, crooked beaks, or grow up with wry tails, etc.

Tolbunt Polish have enough problems as is, if anything they need to be crossed out to laced Polish to widen the genetic diversity and strengthen the birds. The only color difference between Gold Laced and Tolbunt is the recessive mottling gene.
smile.png
Same with Silver laced, except they're silver, not gold.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom