Green Muscle Disease? Turkey Poult

WillJMA

In the Brooder
Jul 3, 2015
Hey Guys,

I recently purchased 4 Turkey Poults from an auction, which are around 4-5 weeks old. This morning whilst i was clipping wings i noticed one of the larger Poults' wing was hanging a little lower so i took a closer look and it's 'bicep' (the larger muscle right under the wing, i dont know what its actually called) is swollen and green, while the others are small and pink.

I've Googled the keywords and i'm getting results of 'Green Muscle Disease'. These birds were to be intended for Christmas meat so if that's the case, unfortunately i couldn't keep it.

I've never had Turkeys before, and i'm quite new to Chicken keeping, so any help/ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks
Will.

Last edited:
Thankyou for the reply.

I've taken a closer look at the bird, and some more Googling seems like 'Green Muscle Disease' sounds a little unlikely, but it's still quite concerning.

I'm hoping it is just a bruise or a strained muscle from bird activity or the last owners being too heavy handed? Who knows. I'll be pampering the poor thing for a few weeks now anyway. She gets her own food and anyone picking on her gets told off haha.

The whole muscle and some skin and feathers on the underside of the bird are very green which worries me, anything similar happened in other birds?

Thanks

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom