Green Pond water--yuck!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ro.netcmarie, May 14, 2009.

1. ro.netcmarie

ro.netcmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2008
    travelers rest, sc
    I put in a fish pond at my home, and still in the process of building a waterfall, but for the last couple of days my water has slowly turned green! It is horrible, I have looked up on the internet about it and said not to worry, that green water can be good in some cases, well I dont see how! I cant see my poor fish!!! And I know it cant be good for them.
    So can anybody help me out? Any advice?? I just dont know. started to make a bigger filter out of a rubbermaid container, maybe the bigger the container, the faster it will clear up. idk

2. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Sounds like you just have some algea bloom.

3. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    I used those barley straw bags I think they are called. I got them at Earl May's and I think they had 3 or 4 in a larger bag and for my pond I used 1 a summer. Just put it in the pond and it helps with the algea. Otherwise for instant results there are chemicals you can buy but I really thought these worked great, no daily upkeep!

4. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Some people use a black light. I have no idea how they rig something like that up though. It's supposed to kill off the bloom, otherwise you just have to wait it out.

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Do you have a gravel or bio filter? If so, you get the bloom first and then the water clears.

6. ro.netcmarie

ro.netcmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2008
    travelers rest, sc
    got one of those pressurized filters, having to clean the filter EVERY day. it is sooooo nasty. wish i could wave a wand and POOF it dissappers, but not going to happen!!! just have to wait i reckon. been putting some of the pond algaecide in it, but it foams up some, but no luck with it. i also have put some bio-barley powder/ sludge remover in it also- no luck either.

7. Blueroo63

Blueroo63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    N.Texas
    barley straw is the best thing to use the green water will go away and stay away but I prefer the barley straw pellets as to the bales the pellets are less mess and work in way less then a 3rd of the time it takes the bales to break down and release the emzines need to kill the aglea and is 100 % safe for all plant and fish life,and anything else you may have

8. VettekLisa

VettekLisa Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2008
    Hale, Missouri
    I was having that problem with my pond. I bought one
    of the ultra-violet light filters and by the next day my
    pond was completely clear.

9. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    I have a goldfish pond. I have filters, waterfalls, tablets, treatments, you name it I have it or have done it.

Nothing works....Water turns green within a week!

[​IMG]

10. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:I have heard that you'll have more problems with algea if your pond has no shade. Haven't tried it but I heard that if you color your pond water w/ a blue dye that will help reduce the algea.

Last edited: May 14, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by