We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Green Pond water--yuck!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ro.netcmarie, May 14, 2009.

1. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Songster

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    Quote:I have heard that you'll have more problems with algea if your pond has no shade. Haven't tried it but I heard that if you color your pond water w/ a blue dye that will help reduce the algea.

Hmmm...my pond has NO shade.

What kind of blye dye?

I guess I haven't tried everything....

2. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Songster

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    Lake/pond dye, I know Earl May's has it, but you could also try online if you don't have an earl may's.

I had considered doing this when we were trying to sell our house because the pond water doesn't always stay "pretty" but didn't end up needing since we sold quick!

3. ro.netcmarie

ro.netcmarie Songster

Oct 7, 2008
    travelers rest, sc
    do you think putting in the blue dye now with the water green, will it hurt???

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Duckweed can choke off algae because it shades the water surface. Unfortunately I bought mine too early in the year and it froze. I need to order more [​IMG]

5. addiedunn

addiedunn Songster

Oct 12, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Yes, if you don't have shade, get water plants to shade the water and the more plants you have submerged, the cleaner it will be, also. Get oxygenators and parrot feather is very pretty, too. If you put the dye in, it will dye your water and you will still be in the same boat as far as being able to not see your fish.
    I use barley extract. It's liquid and very easy to use and other products from Microbelift. They seem to have the best products for balancing your water naturally. If you just installed it, it will need the bacteria added to it, also.

6. wingnut1

wingnut1 Crazy Bird Lady

ditto on the post above - you need to have at least 65=75% of your water surface covered - algae blooms happen to all ponds - algae are simple organizms - and they can grow faster than the more complex ones - if yus pond has more resources (fish poo and such) than can be consumed by biological media (bacteria)in filters or by submerged, floating, or shallow plants - then the algaue will bloom away -

We used an ultraviolet filter when we had koi ponds - and we got water hyacinth, parrots feather, water lilies, and other marginal plants in there as soon as we could...

You might want to consider cutting back on food for the fish - make sure you only give them what they can eat in 5 minutes -- and you might want to pick up a good book on ornamental ponds - something that explains whazzup o algae blooms.

The barley will work - but plant or other form of coverage on the water surface is the key!!! Best wishes!!! [​IMG]

7. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Songster

Feb 23, 2009
    Why oh why cant i remember what we put in our pond for algae! We have alot of bluegill and bass in our pond, we also have a spring for our horses and we treat it each year with some small grandulars that is safe for the horses and fish and i cant remember what it is called. My husband put it in a 5 gallon bucket and without the package that it came in i cant remember.
    You should be able to find out fairly easy and in the mean time i will try to find out for you.

8. addiedunn

addiedunn Songster

Oct 12, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    I imagine its copper sulfate? Or Copper something....

9. Lil_Chickadee

Lil_Chickadee Songster

Feb 11, 2009
    WV
    The UV sterilizer is about the only thing that I have seen or used that works well. The problem with the dye is it darkens the water, does not clear the water and gets looking yucky pretty quickly. The barley gets rotten and stinky at least in my experience and didn't seem to help enough for my pond. Koi Joy had some nice uv sterilizers, I don't have one yet but it's on my list. [​IMG]

http://www.pondshop.com/catalog/koijoy.htm

10. cassie

cassie Crowing

Mar 19, 2009
    Your pond has too much sun. Get some water lilies. They will shade the water so the algae can't grow well, they are beautiful, and they give shelter to the fish.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: