Green Poop and Lethargic Hen

Peaches Lee

Crowing
13 Years
Sep 19, 2010
Pennsylvania
My one year old EE hen, is lethargic with ruffled feathers. Friday night I got home from work late and noticed, after everyone had roosted, grass-green watery poop with blood in it. Since I had no clue who it came from and could not find anymore poop like it, I waited until morning to figure out the sick chicken.

I quarantined my hen and so far (knock on wood) she is the only sick one. She has no injuries that I can feel/see. She does have a cross beak. She also free ranges. I have only found one poop from overnight in her kennel and it is grass-green and watery. There was some white in it as well. I found no mites on her. Her color is good and last night she started acting normal. But this a.m. (Sunday) she is back to resting at the back of her cage.

She has been eating her layer mash, I have not seen her drink any water. She does seem lighter than she usually is, maybe 4 pounds compared to 5. I haven't started any treatment yet because I'm not sure what to do? Her coop has sawdust that I typically poop-scoop daily, I haven't been as thorough this week due to work, but it's a few days worth old.

I'm thinking maybe cocci? Could she have eaten something that could cause a blockage hence the watery green poop? Thank you for any advice and help.

Newcastle disease? Google it yourself.
If it's coccidiosis, then the color of her poop would be dark red.

I don't think it's Newcastle, as she isn't raspy or appearing to be in any respiratory distress. Thank you for your input.

Last edited:
AFAIK, aside from Newcastle, a lot of other diseases can cause green poop, and so does eating too many grass.
Since in most cases, bloody poop means cocci, you can treat her with Toltrazuril first.

Last edited:
I gave my hen some yogurt and she ate some of it. She does seem a bit brighter. I tried feeling her crop, which is very small, and she did not want to be examined. She was standing a lot more and would "talk" to me when I approached. She still has green poop that is watery, not a large amount of poop in her cage. Could she have a blockage?

I gave my hen some yogurt and she ate some of it. She does seem a bit brighter. I tried feeling her crop, which is very small, and she did not want to be examined. She was standing a lot more and would "talk" to me when I approached. She still has green poop that is watery, not a large amount of poop in her cage. Could she have a blockage?
Seems It's more likely to be bacteria. If you will, just try some antibiotic, like Neomycin Sulphate or Florfenicol.

Make sure she gets water. You can try mixing it in with her food.
Hope she gets better!
Thank you. She does have a small bucket in her kennel and I have seen her drink. I hope she gets better too.
fl.gif

Well it's been a week since my little hen went sick. She is still having green poop and has not laid an egg since Sat. She appears bright and is talkative, her appetite is poor. She does seem a bit bored. I was wondering if I should let her back out into main population and free range and maybe her appetitie would increase? Does this sound okay to do?

Back
Top Bottom