green poop caked on hen's butt acts lethargic help! *update mites!!!!*

Not ignoring you, just don't feel confident to advise. I think maybe worming might be a mistake while she's so weak, and you aren't sure that's what it is... unless you find out something for sure if it was me I'd hold off. Sometimes doing nothing is better than doing something that will harm.

For now I suggest you continue with water via syringe, and possibly a little electrolytes in the water, and some poly-vi-sol (no iron), wait to hear from someone more knowledegable than me.

//edited to say no molasses, my neighbor just told me that it would probably make the 'runs' worse.

Last edited:
ok, thanks
smile.png
i finally got her to eat and drink a little on her own. after that she seemed to feel a little better.

Have you cleaned up her rear end? If not please give her a warm bath so you can clean all that bile off. Bile is very strong and she will develop red raw skin very quickly.

Poly Vi Sol is a baby vitamin that you can buy at any pharmacy or walmart. It's a liquid baby vitamin. DO NOT GET THE FORMULA WITH IRON. Give her 3 drops in the morning by beak and three drops at might by beak.

Liquids are very inportant now. Keep her hydrated with watered down 1/2 and 1/2 Gatoraid. Use a dropper to drop it on the top/side of her beak so the liquid will roll into her mouth so she can swallow it and not get it in her lungs.

When was the last time she ate? Make her scrambled eggs and see if she will eat that. Anything to get her appetite stimulated. You can also mix some cooked oatmeal with gatorade and her pellets and make a wet mash. Mix the yogurt with a cereal like cheerios. They get smooshie and are easy to digest. Don't give her anything that will be hard to digest like seeds or scratch. Has she had access to grit and crushed oyster shell?

Keep her inside for the night and keep her warm and quiet. I think you will know more by morning but at least clean her up so she will be more comfortable.

Last edited:
about an hour ago she ate some yogurt and lettuce and seemed to feel better afterwards
smile.png
i will try to get some gatorade tomorrow, when you say 1/2 and 1/2 you mean half gatorade and half water? also i think she is molting! her feathers are falling out very easily could she be sick from molting? i don't know what it is... i have cleaned her butt up pretty good and her vent looks normal. she is sleeping right now so i don't want to wake her up.

If her feathers are falling out she might have botulism. Did she get into a compost pile or anything where there could be rotten food? A garden maybe. Search botulism. There is a flush 'chicken laxative' you can give. It's made with molasses and water. You give that and let it go through her system and then follow with a lot of fluids and soft foods and rest. Let me see if I can find the recipe. I know it's late but you might want to do it tonight.

I can't find the flush 'recipe' Use 1 tablespoon applesauce and 1 tablespoon molasses and 1 pint of water. If you don't have applesauce just use molasses and water. Give this to the chicken for 4 hours. If she is too weak to drink it give her drops with a dropper. She will poop a lot and that's what you want. Place her on layers of paper and when she poops you can remove a layer. Keep your hands clean and make sure the paper is properly disposed of. After the flush replace lost fluids with 1/2 water and 1/2 gatorade and a little yogurt mixed in. When she is ready to eat make a wet mash out of gatorade and yogurt. Always keep fresh water available for her.

She will need to get her strength back so make sure you get some of the Poly Vi Sol vitamins mentioned earlier.

I hope she makes it.

I just sent a PM - I wish I had copied it here!

Basically what I said was to definitely clean the area (and use baby powder to dry and cool the skin). Then give her a one-time cleansing mash (molasses a few drops, applesauce 1 t, yogurt 1 t, honey 1/2 t, crumbles, water) to cleanse out what I suspect are bad bacteria out of balance (the green) and replace the good bacteria, to clean and sooth the system. That with either polyvisol in the beak or some sort of vitamins in the water or the mash. Then repeat that, sans molasses, daily for a week.

I also advised checking for an egg, asked for reminders about basic feed/oyster shell etc because of egg issues that commonly come with clingy droppings and that sort of lethargy - to rule them out.

I'm wondering if she isn't about to go into a whopping molt. I had the same thing happen to a sebright of mine this year for a week. I got her out of it with the same treatment I recommended above because it works. She's following it up with the most huge molt I've ever seen - feathers everywhere, and new incoming pin-feathers til she looks like a thug with a five-o-clock shadow. Really she looks like she's growing a beard! After the cleansing mash week, she really perked up finally with a pink face again and a better atttitude. It's that time of year for pre-molt stress and the harder a bird molts, the harder the stress is before - literally throwing them into bad health and bacterial imbalance some times.

If it's NOT related to molt, then this bird will have cleansing of the bad bacteria and new bacteria to replace it, vitamins to build immunity until we have a better idea of symptoms (and hopefully to disallow potential illness from developing or increasing), and a support for treatment if we have to switch plans.

Back
Top Bottom