Green poop?

Octocontrabass

In the Brooder
Dec 27, 2020
One of my five chickens has been pooping bright green/yellow since yesterday. She acts like a normal chicken otherwise, although she might just be hiding how she feels. Any ideas what could be causing it?

IMG_20211018_082217.jpg

IMG_20211018_082219.jpg

Can you take a poop sample to your vet for testing?

How old is she? Is she laying eggs?

Poop like that I often associate with reproductive problems. Getting a fecal float to see if worms may be an issue is a good idea.

I'm working on contacting a vet right now, but you guys answer faster than the vet does!

She's just over 6 months old, and she was laying eggs before this started - she last laid on Thursday.

We give them flock raiser feed crumbles, layer feed pellets, a variety of snacks like mealworms, sunflower seeds, corn, three grain scratch, and the occasional cheese or fresh produce. They also love to eat grass, bugs, and whatever they can dig up in the yard. They have two separate feeders for grit and oyster shells, too.

As far as I can tell, she's acting normal. Perhaps a little more bitey than usual? But that might just be from all the prodding. The only other thing out of the ordinary is that some of the poop has gotten stuck to her feathers.

Yesterday her poop was completely normal. Thank goodness!

I wonder what caused it. Could it be something she ate? We try to keep the treats to a minimum, but the squirrels bury all sorts of goodies.

Glad to hear it's back to normal. Diet can affect the color and texture of poop, so possibly it was something she ate.
Oh yeah, the Squirrels do bury things. I had 1 this summer that would hang out and wait for the chickens to get a little treat - he wanted something too:lol:

Back
Top Bottom