Green vs. Slate legs

Uzuri

Songster
10 Years
Mar 25, 2009
Color is next to impossible to perfect in photos unless you're a professional, so I'm wondering if anyone here has some birds with green legs and some with slate and has a picture of them together so that I might compare the color!

I have a little EE, and I'm tying to decide what color her legs are. I've looked at about a million photos of EEs and breeder-bred Americaunas, but generally the photography is so bad that you're lucky if the legs don't look black or yellow. I'm figuring if somebody had both colors in one picture I might have a chance of understanding the difference, even if the color isn't so perfect that I could hold my girl's toes up to the screen to compare
wink.png

I don't have pic's but I tell the green by the yellow soles of the feet, generally the slate legs will have white soles. If there is any yellow even only on the edge you have green.

this is for young stock, if your girls are laying the yellow will be harder to tell

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure you can tell by the bottom of the feet: yellow feet = green legs, white feet = slate legs. The green hue is from the combination of blue legs over yellow skin.

Here is a picture of one of my EE's...you can really tell the legs are green next to the blue pool.

98950_green_leg_close_up.jpg

I also have a white girl with green legs...working on a good picture of her and then one of my EE with slate eggs.

Edited to place the right picture in...oops.
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
No, slate legs don't only have white soles. You can have slate legs with yellow soles. My black araucana with slate legs have clearly yellow, not white, soles of their feet.

If I can wrangle up the right birds (they can be hard to catch once they free range) I can take a picture of a willow legged bird next to a slate legged bird on a white background (the bathroom tub
lol.png
). It is a striking difference, very easy to see how the two are dissimilar.

Edit: So these pictures are on the first page, I am editing this post to add them.

The subjects were my favorite splash male Ambrose who is tufted and rumpless, modeling his willow legs, and an unnamed tufted tailed boy modeling slate with yellow soles.

The duo together
77322_slate_v_willow_002.jpg

Closeup
77322_slate_v_willow_004.jpg

Some snuggle time to relax them to get sole pictures
77322_slate_v_willow_011.jpg

Their soles
77322_slate_v_willow_007.jpg

Stink eye post photo shoot when I didn't have his double mocha latte with soy milk and hazelnut syrup ready!
77322_slate_v_willow_016.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Beautiful -- this is just what I was looking for.

Stacykins, if you can swing that with the neutral background, that would be a great reference to have around this site for sure.

Back
Top Bottom