Greener Pastures

Quote:
Me too- if I didn't have my large extended family in this area, I'd head out to Portland OR in a heartbeat. Mmm, mild summers with enough rain to grow a garden easily, winters not too cold(?), and I hear the city is very livable- with light rail transportation and walkable & bikable streets.
Sigh...

move to East Texas, lots of pine trees nice temps, change of seasons and cheap land and taxes. cant ask for much more. Oh yeah the freindliest people in the world ( I might be a tad biased)
big_smile.png

You probably want to head to the midwest. Out here in Oregon, we've got rains that will wash your farm into the river, mud that will swallow it, cougars and bears that will eat you first and the poultry second, and then we've got these throngs of Californians, moving in and mucking up the neighborhood!

Just joshing you. It's pretty agreeable here.

Quote:
Don't forget the wolves !!! I have heard of a few news reports that they are invading Oregon in hordes from IDAHO. Then there are all of the illegals moving out of Cal. to Ore. and setting up meth labs on those washed away farms, and planting forests of mari- wanna and meadows of opium poppies in the state parks. I also hear that quite a few people decorate the inside of their homes with mari- wanna plants. Haven't
they heard of house plants? What is up with the bumper sticker on a Ore. licensed car that I saw last week ... " KEEP PORTLAND WIERD" ? We love the rain... when it comes we go singin in the rain. Mud? when we walk out into the barnyard in the winter the mud makes a mad dash to hug our rubber boots .Then when we go back into the mud room, we have the makings for 2 10 pound pies or 2 adobe bricks. Cougars are our backyard pets. But one played just a little too rough with one of my yearling fillies and broke her neck 4 years ago. Two years ago one cougar invited itself into my 2 doors down neighbors' house for morning coffee. She wasn't even dressed yet and the coffee pot was still empty. How rude, no manners at all. One would think that the local humane society would give that kitty a good talking to at least, but NO. Who needs guard dogs when you can have Bears? We keep them about 5 miles up the road and over the hill because we have very few trees on our place for them to nestle into. To rectify that ,I planted dozens of almond, orange, lemon, cherry, and apple trees but the 17* freeze damaged them then the insects and disease killed them off that spring/ summer. So, I replanted with 72 Redwood trees on 2 acres of grounds around our house a few years ago, but they are only 10-30 feet tall now. Not nearly big enough for the bears' housing comfort. They still do a mightly fine job of keeping the 2 legged riff raff out of our neighborhood. Coyotes are another matter... I see at least 5 single coyotes patrolling every day on our place. That would be OK, but they let the field mice, vols, gophers and ground squerells dig up the pastures. They do eat the squash, tomatoes,etc out of my garden and leave only trimmings for us. They must not be carnivores or omnivores. But I have seen packs of 10-20+ at their nightly community sing along gatherings at the wee hours of the morning in clear violation of no drinking after 2:00 am as well as noise ordinances. Rude, I tell you ! We do keep our county sanitation crews busy every morning scrapping off coyote, racoon, skunk, possum, fox, bobcat, redtailed hawks, barn owls , stray dogs and cats off our county roads. The teenagers and little old ladies just keep violating the no littering signs. They must be from the midwest , north, east, and/or south! Ahh, the wonders of country living !

Back
Top Bottom