Greenhouse is producing tomatoes

rkpatt.............
clap.gif

Nice....
cool.png

We have a 12x48 hoop house (Single layer unheated) I am considering making it a double layer and adding some wood heat. Right know it gets us a head start on our short season, also allows me to ripen the late tomatoes in fall. It adds a month to each end of the growing season. I have been pulling the cover off during summer so I do not need to deal with heat build up and excess humidity.

I also produce lettuce under lights indoors. It started out just for our own consumption, but now I sell fresh local lettuce all year around. (300-500 plants at a time)
Royd, I am not using hydroponics, but a hybrid system. I grow in a very well draining organic growing media, and water/feed via the flood and drain method with my home made hydroponic trays.

ON

Hmmmm , fresh tomatoes... (Well at least I have my seeds started..)

Quote:
We experimented with several mediums, from clay which had been heated to the point of exploding like popcorn,[Too acidic] river rocks: nuetral, but they had to be flooded, frequently, and finally, agricultural perlite:Very lightweight for shipping, excellent water retention, and could be used over and over...Of course, in a display setting, we had to change it out, with the crop changes, because algae would begin to grow in it. Needless to say, lots of used perlite came home with me, to be put into my garden.

Back
Top Bottom