Greenies pill pockets safe for chickens?

cate1124

Songster
12 Years
Jul 3, 2011
Does anyone know whether Greenies feline pill pockets are safe for hens? I've got an arthritic older Brahma who has stopped accepting Meloxicam in any of the regular treats. Holding her in my lap to pill her manually hurts her, so I need to entice her to again take it voluntarily. Thanks! (I have the salmon flavor, if it matters.)

Does anyone know whether Greenies feline pill pockets are safe for hens? I've got an arthritic older Brahma who has stopped accepting Meloxicam in any of the regular treats. Holding her in my lap to pill her manually hurts her, so I need to entice her to again take it voluntarily. Thanks! (I have the salmon flavor, if it matters.)
I believe that people feed cat food to their chickens for extra protein in certain situations.... idk if this would be any different?

I have no idea but my hens love dog food. We are not always successful at keeping them away, but we have not had anyone get sick.
Thanks for responding. My hens will gladly eat canned cat food. I was just wondering about the pill pockets specifically.

Here's the ingredients from a google search:

Wheat Flour, Chicken Livers, Glycerin, Salmon, Corn Syrup, Pregelatinized Corn, Salmon Oil, Water (sufficient for processing), Wheat Gluten, Gelatin, Natural Flavor, Starch, Salt, Lecithin, Potassium Sorbate, Ascorbic Acid, Sodium Phosphates, Probiotics (Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Lactis, Lactobacillus Casei), Vitamin E Supplement, Natural Antioxidants.

Doesn't look like anything that would be harmful for a chicken in moderation.

Here's the ingredients from a google search:

Wheat Flour, Chicken Livers, Glycerin, Salmon, Corn Syrup, Pregelatinized Corn, Salmon Oil, Water (sufficient for processing), Wheat Gluten, Gelatin, Natural Flavor, Starch, Salt, Lecithin, Potassium Sorbate, Ascorbic Acid, Sodium Phosphates, Probiotics (Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Lactis, Lactobacillus Casei), Vitamin E Supplement, Natural Antioxidants.

Doesn't look like anything that would be harmful for a chicken in moderation.
Thank you! That's what I thought, too, but second opinions always are good.

Back
Top Bottom