Greens for Quial

Discussion in 'Quail' started by cva34, Nov 13, 2011.

1. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    I never thought of Quail as green stuff eating birds.Bobwhites and a few A&M. Bring them Bobs a armload of lettuce/turnip,radish greens/mustard greens/etc and they meet you at door.They eat and call each other to lunch, cackle and just have the best time digging through the leaves and in an hour or so there is nothing left but stumps.A& M eat it too.But not like them Bobs there Voracious...cva34

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Oh yes! They love it if you introduce it early. Just make sure they eat their dinner before getting desert [​IMG]

3. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Mine love the "micro-greens" that grow in their aviary from birdseed that they miss (I toss in a handful every morning and they LOVE digging through the dirt and leaves for their treats). They eat grass and honeysuckle leaves too. They always have GBF available but seem to enjoy foraging as much as their feed--bugs, grass, seeds, more bugs... they love it.

Glad you found something to entertain your birds with. [​IMG]

4. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Anxious for their jar of sprouts! LOL!

Mung beans.....

Here's some great info on sprouting for birds if anyone is interested. It's a great way to get them treats in the winter, and good clean no pesticides!

http://www.avianweb.com/sprouting2.html

[​IMG]

Please never feed Ice burg lettuce to birds of any kind. It has no nutritional value, mostly water, no vitamins, and will give them diarrhea.

5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    My Bob's go bonkers for greens. They inhale them .

6. D3invertebrates

D3invertebrates Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Brookshire, TX
    Ive tried giving my coturnix quail a few different kinds of fresh veggies but they wouldnt ever really eat any of it, I think maybe like quaillady said you have to introduce it early. They seem to have more of a taste for stuff like bsf larvae and stuff like that though.

7. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    In college I was told to give 2 week old greens for enrichment and to avoid toe picking/cannibalism.

What is funny is I did do this with all my bobwhites except the butlers and the butlers were the only ones that showed aggression later in life... Their kids are getting greens! [​IMG]

The coturnix and buttons wait at the door for their goodies, I am surprised the buttons take it right out of my hand even!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by