Greens when grass is gone

I usually hang them up a cabbage piñata twice a week in winter. I also buy a bag of alfalfa pellet (not the Timothy Alfalfa) that last me about 2 months. Make sure to soak the alfalfa pellets overnight before feeding. Alfalfa swells up alot so for 1 cup of it, soak it in 2-3 cups water. Helps on feed bill too. Mix it into the rest of their feed at a ratio of 1 part alfalfa to 5-6 parts chicken feed. Alfalfa is high in protein, vitamins and will keep your egg yolks nice and dark.
I've even started to ferment the alfalfa and they seem to love it. I put a coffee can full of alfalfa in a 5 gal bucket, add 3 cans of water, then half a cup of ACV. Stir it couple times each day and in about 3 days you have fermented alfalfa for them. there are some good articles here on byc about fermenting feed.
Good luck.

I sprout grains. Squashes last along time when kept in the right environment.
I've been doing a lot of sprouting lately too. It's a lot better for them than just feeding them dried seeds. Plus it really helps with the feed bill as many birds as I have. Turn a couple lbs of wheat and beans into a whole 5 gal bucket of feed that they love.

Im thinking of getting a good size collerd bed going they have the highest concentration of protein and vitamins even better than kale plus they are biennial and can grow year round here
I love to eat Collards myself! Better hope that you don't if you plan on letting the chickens into them, they'll eat the Collards all up and never leave any for you. That's just how chickens are!

Back
Top Bottom