Greetings from Abu Dhabi, UAE

desertchook

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 18, 2015
Hello! I'm very pleased to be a new member of this forum. Having raised chickens in the US and the UK, I have decided to try raising chickens at our new home in Abu Dhabi, UAE. The climate here is very harsh. Abu Dhabi is a coastal desert where summer temperatures reach 120 degrees or more with high humidity. In the past we have had Rhode Island Reds and related crosses, but this time we opted for "local Arabic chickens" (not further identified) because they were reported to be more tolerant of the intense heat and harsh climate conditions. I would be very interested to hear from anyone in the region who has experience with raising chickens in a desert - or anyone who might know what breed (or combination of breeds) a "local Arabic chicken" might be. Here is a photo of one of my hens.

Last edited:
Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Wow the temperatures there do sound very harsh! Maybe you could start a new thread in the where am where are you section of the forum here is the link https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you Hopefully you will be able to connect with other chicken people in your area.

Hope you enjoy BYC :frow

welcome-byc.gif
We're glad you joined us!

Good luck with your chickens!

Welcome and salaam!
frow.gif

The Egyptian Fayoumi is a desert hardy chicken but from the description of them in that link, they sound a bit tough to keep. Here are some other Heat-Hardy Chickens and people in these forums in the very hot, arid parts of Arizona etc might be a good place to start. Availability in UAE will probably vary a lot, though, I imagine? I would suggest maybe heading to Al Ain or some other place where you might get in contact with bedouin people that possibly have kept chickens in the region for generations. They're very hospitable and friendly, and if they keep chickens (although it'd be tough there they may know of others in other areas that do), you'll probably get some advice and maybe even leave with a couple. Just a thought.

Welcome to BYC! I'm new here, too, and it's been a great place to learn!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom