Greetings from Alabama!

ctrygran

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 16, 2014
We have a small farm in Central Alabama. I am having trouble with my Two Buff Orpintgon rooster overmating my hens. There is also a Rhode Island White rooster who is protective of the hens. If I lock up the two boys separately are they going to attack each other if penned together. I am afraid they are going to cause disease where they are plucking feathers off the hens, I want to hatch some of the eggs later but right now I need peace in the barnyard!

welcome-byc.gif
Good luck with your poultry raising adventures, and I hope you find everything you need to know. Don't forget to take a look at BYC's very useful learning center (If you haven't already)! The learning center as well as the forum should answer your questions! There is always something new to learn! Glad to have you here! See you around with the flock.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Have you considered trying hen saddles on the girls, even with only one rooster loose they still may not have a chance to heal up. The roos may or may not get along once penned together, if they get along right now while with the hens you do have a good chance they will be fine together alone, orps don't tend to be that bad, about all you can do is try it and be prepared to separate them.

images

Welcome to BYC!

Sounds like you have too many roosters. 1 roo to about 10 or 12 hens is a good ratio. Locking them up together depends on how well they both get along. So be careful with that. As Kelsie mentioned, you can get some hen saddles for the girls to protect their backs. However I would still give them a break for a while from the roosters so they can start to regrow some feathers and heal. Here is a link to a place that sells saddles for hens...

http://www.hensaver.com

Good luck with your flock and welcome to ours!

Back
Top Bottom