Greetings from Azusa, California

Eggie and Me

Songster
10 Years
Mar 9, 2009
Southern California
Good Day All:

Any suggestions on which breeds would be best suited for our climate. Summers are hot 100-110+ with winters cold, rainy and temps down to approx 20..........................

We would like our flock to include 6-12 hens only and want colored or brown eggs. Of course white eggs are fine too.... My experience is with "exotic" birds and handfeeding birds as small as day old cockatails.... We lived on a "pig" farm that included 100's of chickens.....

Somehow I feel this "adventure" will be more personal because we are planning to name our girls and teach our grandchildren about the care and keeping of chickens. Won't finding their first colored egg be exciting?

Thanks
Eggie and Me

welcome-byc.gif

Hi Brian:
Thank you so much for your reply. Of course I have "dozens" of ?'s First wanted to say I went to your web site. Cool... However, you ship eggs? From TN? Without breaking?? Never heard of such a thing. Am very interested...

Is there anyone in Southern CA you could direct me to or does location really matter all than much?

Which breed or breeds would you recommend for beginners and our climate? We would really like colored eggs and brown. Is there a particular breed that is a better egg producer?

Thanks

Eggie and Me

Hey there eggie
welcome-byc.gif
! I am in So Cal and I have RIR chicks and hatching eggs as well as silkie/showgirl chicks hatching 3/15 and fertile eggs. I love my RIR's they lay a nice brown egg and they just lay lay lay! They are very hardy in my opinion. They do fine here in Pomona. There are alot of breeds that will work for you, but when it comes to egg production and hardiness I would say Rhode island red. I'm sure you will get more responses here and you will be able to get all your questions answered. Good luck!

Chef

welcome-byc.gif
Welcome to BYC!!!
yippiechickie.gif

I live in Northern California, but I know that there are many members in Southern California. If you don't get some responses, watch for locations of the people who post.

If you want some help on picking out the best breeds for you, here is a link to the BEST list (60 breeds listed!!).

www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

I was interested in chickens that laid large eggs (and a lot of them!!), liked people, were calm in a run (I can't let mine free range) and were relatively quiet (I live in town). But you can decide what is important to you!

Good Luck!!

Cindy

Back
Top Bottom