Greetings from Beautiful Eugene Oregon!

CrazedCowgirl

Chirping
Jan 17, 2016
Eugene Oregon
Hello Everyone! I'm newer to chicks and will be starting my very own small backyard flock here in the next couple of months. (YAY!) I have my coop and run set up and almost ready to go but the one thing I'm running into issues with is picking what breeds I'd like, I just want one of everything!

Since I'm at the south end of the Willamette Valley, I think, I'll need some girl that are cold hardy but can also be heat tolerant because we easily hit triple digits during the summer months. Dual purpose would be great but I'm mainly looking for egg layers, preferably with a large egg but I'd be fine with medium eggs as long as the girls are even tempered and friendly and respectful of gardens.

If anyone could help out and at least steer me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

P.S I'm looking for just a small flock, 4-6 girls. My coop could hold more but I think starting small would work best, I can always add a couple more next year.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! How exciting for you to be getting started with your chicken adventures :celebrate I'm sure you are going to enjoy it very much, it's lots of fun and very rewarding. Red and black sex link hens are a very good starter bird and excellent layers too. I started out with red ones and they were fantastic. You might also like to drop by your state thread to chat to members in your area about what they have found to good for your climate. State threads can be found here ~https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

Wishing you all the best with your new venture, be sure to ask any questions that you may have. Everyone here to help and very friendly.

Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

Welcome to BYC!
When you say "respectful of gardens" what are you expecting of the birds in regards to your garden? Generally speaking, if they can get to it they will dig in it, eat the plants, etc - are you wanting birds who will provide weed/bug control but not damage any of your plants you are growing?
I've lived in the area you are in (and am currently working on making a move back), and would not hesitate to have any of the common breeds used for egg production in that area. How many eggs, per week, do you need your group to produce? Do you have a preference on color of egg? I would suggest finding a few breeds that interest you and getting one or two of each - this will allow you to determine whether you like a particular breed as much as you think you will or not and then you can cycle those on the "not" list out and try a new breed. While some breeds are more known for friendliness and others are often labeled as being "flighty" much of your flock's personality will be based on your raising of them. Socializing the chicks early is more important, imo, than breed as I have had many "pet" birds of breeds others often write off as entirely unfriendly.
Your plan of starting a small group now so you can add the following year is a really solid plan as it helps you to avoid big gaps of time with no eggs since about the time your new girls start to lay the original group will be entering their first molt. It also helps to have some older birds in the group to help teach the younger ones about being polite members of chicken society, I'm a big fan of a multigenerational flock.

I reckon you have some great advice so I'll just say hi and welcome to our community.

All the best
Ct

Ol Grey Mare has given you excellent advice. I would just add that as a rule chickens tolerate cold much better than heat. Welcome to Backyard chickens, hope you will enjoy it as much as we do.

Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! I was up late last night reading just about every forum and post I could find. LOL.

I'm mainly looking for bug control for my garden since it got ruined last year because of slug's and stuff. (I was not happy after spending weeks building new raised beds and finding just the right soil.) TBH, we don't eat a lot of eggs ourselves but my dogs get one or two eggs a day. (I rehab German shepherds, and yes, the dog's yard and the chickens run are separated by a 12 foot drive and 2 fences) I'd be thrilled if I could get 10 eggs a week (medium/large, no color preference) but I think 5-7 would do just fine.

I'll just keep up the research and she what breeds I bring home in a couple months! Thank you again!!

I'm just north of Junction City, and we have 5 hens that all lay regularly during the warmer months (1 Black Star/Black Sex Link, 2 New Hampshire Reds, 1 Black Orpington, and 1 Blue Orpington). They are all doing well in the Oregon winter. If I had to pick one breed over the others, I'd recommend the Orpingtons.

Best of luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom