GREETINGS FROM HILTON, NY...up by the "Big Pond"

labpac4

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 31, 2010
Hello All
I'm not exactly new, new but still a novice. I have a flock of ten backyard chickens and they are about 1 1/2 yrs old now. In the fall I thought we might be having a bout with mites during their first molt. Everything seemed to clear up except for Silvia, my Barred Plymouth Rock, she was missing a patch of feathers on her bottom and the skin looked very red.; it apparently had nothing to do with the molt or mites. I put anti-biotic cream and vaseline on it, but it hasn't gotten worse or better. Today I noticed, Agnes, the Buff, pictured in the foreground, has the same patch now. She is missing feathers on her bottom and it looks inflamed. It doesn't seem to be effecting eating, laying or anything else, but sure does look sore. Does anyone know what this is and what I should do? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. It sure sounds like mites or lice to me. Antibotic creams don't kill lice or mites. You should dust them with a Seven 5% dust. Do their pen as well. Good luck. :thumbsup

Edited to add: If you can get a pic of the spot, it might help. Also post it in the Emergencies Section. You should get more help there.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
and hope you're able to find some help with your chickens

Welcome to BYC!

I've never had to deal with mites or lice. I'm sorry I can't help you very much.

Try posting this in Emergencies/Diseases/Injuries and Cures section. You'll get more info there.

~AnnElise

...and boy, does that "Big Pond" kick up some weather, eh?!? I was really surprised to see your post title.. I grew up in Hilton until the age of 12. We had a house on the lake and I recall being able to get a UHF tv channel from across the lake some times... "the Smurfs"...in French! One of my favorite day trips as a kid was to a farm/fruit stand that had a bee's nest in the wall that you could observe, but for the life of me I can't remember the name, and another farm (Zimmerman's? Zucherman's?) for apple cider. I guess I really appreciated a farm even then! Best of luck figuring out what's ailing your girls and how to treat it. Do they have access to dust bathing in the winter? I've read that a little diatomaceous earth (DE) can be put in their dust box and it helps to keep external parasites off of the birds.

Back
Top Bottom