Greetings from Knoxville TN!

Ronwilli

In the Brooder
Mar 16, 2018
Hey all y'all!

We are Ron and Nancy Williams. We just joined the group because we like chickens and we just started our flock and believe there is much safety in the counsel of many.

This is our 3rd flock. The first was in 2006. We raised 6 reds in the back yard of our house in Lehigh Acres, FL. We kept them in a converted shed. Worked out real well. The only problem was chickens were not allowed in the area we lived. We had them for 2 years, never got caught and had to give them up along with the house. This was during the housing crash in 2007-8. Oh well.

Our 2nd flock was a couple of years later. We still lived within the same town but we got brave (or stupid lol) and raised 4 reds. We had a 2 car garage and I built a coop and kept them in the garage. They had plenty of air and it worked out for a while but that's when we learned about the "dust" they produce. It covered everything! So, we ended up giving them up to a local ranch who had them legally lol.

We are now living on 1/2 acre in Knoxville TN and chickens are allowed in the area so we are firing it up again. We now have a flock of 11 total, 9 Reds and 2 Barred Rocks. They have not fully feathered out yet and they are inside the house in a large dog pen where they are thriving and growing. They will soon be transferred to the outside coop, although I have to expand it a bit to accommodate the 11. We planned on 8 but the wife had other ideas lol. We are raising them as organically as possible and we are looking forward to watching them thrive outside and, of course, the eggs.

We also have 4 dogs (2 Chihuahuas, 1 Chi-Apso (Chihuahua/Lhasa Apso mix) and an Australian Sheppard, and 1 indoor cat. We have no children so the animals are our kids.

I work as a computer programmer from home, working a contract with the USCG in Elizabeth City NC. I enjoy photography and model railroading as hobbies. The wife is into Essential Oils and home made soaps.

That's about all there is to our story...we look forward to interacting with the group for there is much to learn.

Hey all y'all!

We are Ron and Nancy Williams. We just joined the group because we like chickens and we just started our flock and believe there is much safety in the counsel of many.

This is our 3rd flock. The first was in 2006. We raised 6 reds in the back yard of our house in Lehigh Acres, FL. We kept them in a converted shed. Worked out real well. The only problem was chickens were not allowed in the area we lived. We had them for 2 years, never got caught and had to give them up along with the house. This was during the housing crash in 2007-8. Oh well.

Our 2nd flock was a couple of years later. We still lived within the same town but we got brave (or stupid lol) and raised 4 reds. We had a 2 car garage and I built a coop and kept them in the garage. They had plenty of air and it worked out for a while but that's when we learned about the "dust" they produce. It covered everything! So, we ended up giving them up to a local ranch who had them legally lol.

We are now living on 1/2 acre in Knoxville TN and chickens are allowed in the area so we are firing it up again. We now have a flock of 11 total, 9 Reds and 2 Barred Rocks. They have not fully feathered out yet and they are inside the house in a large dog pen where they are thriving and growing. They will soon be transferred to the outside coop, although I have to expand it a bit to accommodate the 11. We planned on 8 but the wife had other ideas lol. We are raising them as organically as possible and we are looking forward to watching them thrive outside and, of course, the eggs.

We also have 4 dogs (2 Chihuahuas, 1 Chi-Apso (Chihuahua/Lhasa Apso mix) and an Australian Sheppard, and 1 indoor cat. We have no children so the animals are our kids.

I work as a computer programmer from home, working a contract with the USCG in Elizabeth City NC. I enjoy photography and model railroading as hobbies. The wife is into Essential Oils and home made soaps.

That's about all there is to our story...we look forward to interacting with the group for there is much to learn.
awesopme.jpg
WELCOME ARROW SMILE.gif
welcome wagon.gif

G'Day from down under Ron and Nancy :frow Welcome to BYC and back to chicken parenting!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock and/or other critters, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

Back
Top Bottom