Greetings from Massachusetts! So happy to be part of this!

welcome-byc.gif
... from one mass resident to another!
smile.png

Hi there, Girliegirl1940! I am in Natick so we are practically neighbors! I don't have anybody close who is doing the "chicken thing"! Maybe we can be birdie buddies!!! What kind do you have, how many? What's your coop like? LOL Yeah, I'm obsessed, with no outlet!

Quote:
Hello we are practically neighbors...I work in Framingham!!! lol
smile.png

I actually don't have any little ones yet...but I hope to get some soon! Auburn only lets you keep 4
sad.png
but that is a good number to start with!

I am pretty new to this and still doing all my research and trying to convince my husband this will be fun!! lol

How about you...how many do you have and what kind? where did you get yours? did you build your own coop?
smile.png

I thought 4 was a good number to start with too and, luckily, that was the minimum number of day old chicks I could order from MyPetChicken.com! I ordered 4 very different looking breeds, so I could easily tell them apart, since I am so new to this too! But I made sure they were hardy breeds so they would survive the winter well! I have a Buff Orpington, an Australorp, a Rhode Island Red, and a Silver-Laced Wyandotte!

My husband couldn't believe we were doing this! He LOVES them now! Always asks how "the girls" are doing! It's hilarious! The chickens are so wonderful, so entertaining! They all have different personalities! My husband even helped me build the coop stand and the run! I bought a coop on Ebay (for a great price!) and, after doing a make-shift run because they were getting too big to stay inside!, I decided it would be best to have the coop raised off the ground! If it was raised, it would be more predator-proof, it would be out of the "weather" (when I first put them out, it rained FOR DAYS! and the bedding was cold and damp and I felt terrible! Plus, with a coop stand, they have a place to escape rain but still be outside! I love the end result! Hopefully, I will have pictures up sometime soon!

This has become a real family affair! My 9 year old is hatching eggs and this is day 20! We are expecting them any day! We have 4 eggs but we will only keep 2! We have a Community Farm that will happily take the extras but maybe you would be interested??? I am also building my son an A-frame coop for his chicks. Maybe you'd like to do a build-a-long......
smile.png

Oh, and theses eggs that we are hatching we got from a farm in Sherbourne (15 min. away) where I get my chicken feed! The farmer there is a wonderful guy! He charged me $1 for each egg and I have heard peeping from inside each one so I am very hopeful!!!

Quote:
Oh that is good to know...that isn't to far away!

I haven't really decided which kind I want to get...I am leaning towards ones that lay blue eggs!
smile.png
Just cause I think it would be fun...or maybe 2 and 2!!!!

I have been looking around to find somewhere local to get some so I don't have to order online!

Oh my heck! I just love the name Meg, it sounds so cute! Anyways welcome to BYC and have fun beware of chicken addiction, it's very contagious! Everyone here has it which means I guess you're already diagnosed xD
Welcome from Utah
wink.png
wee.gif

QP

Quote:
I wanted all of my hens to have names that are traditional and almost Pioneer age names! Gwendolyn, Abigail, Margaret, and Henrietta were just perfect for my hens! Gwen sounds like a golden haired beauty, which she is (if hairs were feathers)! Abby is dressed all in black, with a green sheen when the light hits her right! Meg is a solid red'headed Rhode Islander! And Hettie is very fancy with her silv er lacing!!! Glad you like them!!! I just love em!

Back
Top Bottom