Greetings from new member from Norway

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Thank you for the replies. I am so happy to tell you folks that we have two little chicks named Sissy and Bobo hatched 2nd February. I don't know Sissy's breed but Bobo is an araucana (from a blue egg)

This is Sissy who took more than 30 hours from pip to hatch!
The info on assisting I found here on BYC posted by fowlweatherfriends was so helpful especially for Bobo who needed help to come out...umbilical cord was around the neck and leg. The poor thing bled twice. The first time, I stopped and waited for two hours, then the second, I waited for only half an hour then on with the "operation".

Here they are now at almost two weeks. Bobo on the foreground and Sissy busy pecking on something.

Hello everyone, thanks again for the lovely replies
big_smile.png
...UPDATE on my current hatch which is on the 23rd
barnie.gif
(accompanied by flu and migraine headaches)...Well, I finally saw a crack today just a couple of hours ago from this writing
ep.gif
My nerves had been cracked long time ago, but I feel happy to see one egg has pipped. I hope it will rally the other two into action. As you can see by the hygrometer, it is a bit over 60 per cent (I'll jack it up more) and the thermometer shows over 38 deg. celcius. I did still air incubation with these organic eggs I bought from the grocery store, 3 out of 9 has come this far. So...I am keeping my fingers crossed. Hope you all have a good week. Cheers and best regards!

We are the Bang family and we have just started raising chickens. We bought our three pullets/hens and a young cockerel just this week. We've had ten eggs so far and besides that, I have started having an interest in incubating. So I made my own styrofoam box incubator. The first batch of 12 did not make it. The second batch of 12 is now down to 4 and on their 22nd day. I heard chirping this afternoon but there wasn't a crack yet. Last week I made another styrofoam incubator and bought organic eggs from the grocery store. I was lucky to find the eggs with a label that says: (it was in Norwegian) "...Among our hens are cockerels to keep the peace and order in the flock." I said Bingo! Eight out of nine eggs were fertilised. So I am keeping my hands full even in this cold weather...My family, especially my eleven-year-old son, thinks it is nice to have chickens. We also have a dog, an eight-year-old basset hound. We haven't properly introduced him to the chickens...Maybe I'll find the info in the one of the posts here. Our dog is a lovely dog, but he could be "hungry for chicken" so I have to do the precaution so that no chicken of mine will end up in his mouth :-D I hope all of you BYC members have a nice Sunday evening. Hilsen!!!
Hi Hilsen

Wow - welcome to BYC! -- Dogs can be introduced to chickens -- and it is a process where you will control their excitement. First let them see the chickens when they cannot touch them, such as when the chickens are behind a wire. The dogs will be excited and fascinated at first -- Give it enough time so that the dogs understand that the chickens are part of the family -- not toys and YOUR chickens. During the process the dogs will want to sniff the chickens -- (that part had me nervous the very first time )-- but realize that they aren't going to bite unless they are overly excited -- it is just their way to know their world. Eventually you will have complete peace. Here is a link that may be a place you could pick up some tips.

http://canterlc.com/StopChickenKillerDogs/site/pages/home/

The man who made this series is so nice -

Here is my Australian Cattle Dog -- looking at my very first three chickens --- asking me if I want her to herd them.

Best of luck and have fun with your chicken adventures!

Last edited:
Hi ChicKat, thank you for the tip and I sure will have lots of fun with my chicken adventure---greetings to you and your lovely dog from us with Ola our basset hound---arrrrooooooooohhh!!! (I hope someday I'l be able to post a goofy picture of our dog with the chickens.
droolin.gif
ya.gif
clap.gif

UPDATE on my hatch. Good news and bad news. I have one little chick I named Mozart (been listening to violin concerto n. 3 during the wait).

And the other two failed to pip internally and just gave up, I think...
idunno.gif
The yolk sac has not been fully absorbed in these two. Here are the pictures:

I think I will rest from incubation. I think I have become bird-brained (and loving it) during the experience
D.gif
For now I will enjoy my three little chicks.
THANKS very much for the lovely greetings!!! Hope you all have a lovely week!!!

Back
Top Bottom