Greetings from SW Missouri

edacious

Chirping
Oct 9, 2016
Buffalo, MO
Hi all, I'm Ed. My roommate and I have two Barred Rock hens and a rooster that we got as chicks last March. I'm very much a city boy, and I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying raising them ... and growing veggies and flowers, and composting, and other backyard adventures. :)

The chickens seem healthy and happy so far; we're a bit worried about how they'll do over the winter, but we have time to figure that out. Any advice there is welcome! We get two eggs a day on average and the hens are very sweet (the rooster, of course, is a jerk).

We also have two dogs and a cat, which mostly leave the chickens alone, thankfully. The cat and smaller dog are scared of the rooster and the bigger dog is well behaved around them ... as long as the rooster doesn't go after her first!

My roommate also has an 18 month old that the rooster thinks of as a serious threat. He actively goes after the boy sometimes and it's a chore to keep them separate.

Looking forward to sharing stories and info on here.

-- Ed

Hello to everyone. I have a flock of chickens, geese,Guinness, and ducks. They all free roam in my backyard and I've noticed that some of the chickens have got a respiratory infection. I got some antibiotics and plan on treating the flock of chickens. My question is do I need to treat the ducks, geese, and Guinness too
Hello there, and welcome to Backyard chickens! I suggest you post your question on this page https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/threads/add/forumId/10. Good luck.

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Ditch that rooster! There are THOUSANDS of good tempered roosters out there, the sort that would eat scratch out of a child's hand, who are seeking homes - no good reason to keep a cockbird who bites the hand that feeds. They can seriously injure kids if given the opportunity - I've seen it happen with my own eyes.

THanks for the welcome!

The kid already has a couple nasty scratches on his back from a run in from the rooster, so yeah, ditching the rooster seems like a good idea. We *bought* three hen chicks, but one turned out to be male. He really does need to go to a farm somewhere ... or a nice winter stew. We're really not supposed to have him in town anyway.

THanks for the welcome!

The kid already has a couple nasty scratches on his back from a run in from the rooster, so yeah, ditching the rooster seems like a good idea.  We *bought* three hen chicks, but one turned out to be male. He really does need to go to a farm somewhere ... or a nice winter stew. We're really not supposed to have him in town anyway.

Sadly, sexing is only 95% accurate on most breeds of day olds. So you may have just gotten unlucky.

Put an ad on Craigslist... mention he's human aggressive. If someone wants him, don't ask questions. Sadly most roosters end up on someone's dinner plate, the least we can do is make sure the roosters who end up there are the ones that deserve it.

Young children are especially at risk fromaggressive roosters, because they are closer to the ground and easier to attack & maim. Roos also like to go for the eyes. Please keep the child away from him - till the roo is disposed of. Your hens will continue to lay eggs without him. Good riddance!

Back
Top Bottom